X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bthurber
    Visitor
    • Apr 2013

Allow BC4 to use more memory?

I am comparing two very large files (400MB each) and noticed Beyond Compare is using only 400MB in Windows task manager. While I admire the low memory use, I have memory to burn in this machine so would like Beyond Compare use it if it would help performance. Is there an option somewhere that would allow better performance at the expense of RAM?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Which viewer (folder or file) are you currently using? BC4 uses as much ram as it needs (often more than the file size for viewing a large file in the Text Compare). If you are using the 64bit version of BC4 (Help menu -> About to double check), then there shouldn't be limitations on RAM usage, and the bottleneck is likely another factor.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bthurber
      Visitor
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Aaron
      Which viewer (folder or file) are you currently using?
      Thank you for your reply.

This is with the CSV file viewer in 64-bit Beyond Compare 4.2.4.

At the moment, I have 2 CSV files loaded in the file compare viewer. They are each ~340MB (combined total of ~680MB) yet Beyond Compare is only showing 338MB in use in the task manager. It takes 5-10 minutes for the compare to load initially. If I change compare parameters (right click column/not important for example), it takes another 5-10 minutes to compute and return.

Brad

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Enhancing Table Compare (default CSV view) performance for large files is on our feature request list, but there probably isn't a setting you can change in Beyond Compare to improve performance.

The Text Compare might be faster than the Table Compare for very large files, but the Text Compare is limited to viewing the raw CSV text instead of a row/column view.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...