X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rprastein
    Enthusiast
    • Oct 2010

Custom file format conversion imported from version 3 doesn't work

Was there some sort of a syntax change on external conversions for file formats between version 3 and version 4? I have a a custom XML file format that I imported from version 3 that uses Saxon and a stylesheet to transform XML files prior to comparison. It worked great in version 3. Now I'm getting a conversion error in version 4, and there is no other output to help me determine what the problem is.

The external conversion called is a batch file, which calls java to run Saxon.
    Custom\Saxon\compare_VC-XML.bat %s %t

I've checked that the Custom folder is in the Beyond Compare 4 program folder as it is under the Beyond Compare 3 program folder. I've tried putting the full path to the batch file in the file format conversion definition. I've tried putting the full path to the batch file and enclosing in quotes. I've tried wrapping my command in cmd /c. I've tried putting the full paths to the Saxon excutable and the stylesheet file in the batch file. The batch file is calling java, it shouldn't care about 32-bit vs 64-bit (my BC version 3 is a 32-bit program and version 4 is 64-bit). I've tried changing the encoding in the file format to ANSI, OEM, UTF-8. What am I missing?

Rebeccah

• rprastein
    Enthusiast
    • Oct 2010

Hmm, figured it out. Posting in case someone else has a similar question.

By putting cmd /c "cd > %t" as the external command, I was able to find out what directory BC4 is "in" when it runs this. It's in my userhome\AppData\Roaming\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4 directory. I moved my Custom folder there, and now it works (unmodified).

Rebeccah

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC3 used to store Helper\ files in the main install directory of BC3, which required admin privileges to install and caused some compatibility issues as Windows locked down on security in Program Files. BC4 moves the Helpers\ folder into the BC4 settings directory you found. Any conversion might need some path tweaking if it was dealing with any paths that might expect the BC3 location.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...