X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikedgre
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2018

Grammar setting not sticking...

I have different folders with compares of the same file type. In my case they are mainframe files.
    If I change the grammar on 1 compare, the other file compares in other folders have the same grammar change.
    Can I make the grammar unique to the folder where all compares in that folder have the same grammar ?
    I tried to add grammar rules and the checkboxes are not being exercised. Here is an example below.

(All mainframe files in Folder 1 on Grammar checkbox)
    X Item1=1 to end of line
    Item2=1 to 71

(All mainframe files in Folder 2 on Grammar checkbox)
    Item1=1 to end of line
    X Item2=1 to 71

When I go back and forth between folder 1 and folder 2, the settings always change from 1 to the other.
    The grammar change is global. I tried doing the lock option but that did not work.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

File Formats are global. If you are editing a format that can only be for a specific folder, then you would need multiple formats (Each defined with a mask that matches only for the specific folder, or disabled and enabled only in that Folder Compare session).

However, if you are only defining Unimportance, this can be done for a specific saved Folder Compare session by:
    - Double click on a file in the Folder Compare.
    - In the child Compare, go to the Session menu -> Session Settings, Importance tab, and define new Unimportant rules (above the grammar list).
    - Update the bottom dropdown from "use only for this view" to "use for all files in parent session"
    - Close the child compare, and re-save the parent Folder Compare session.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mikedgre
      Enthusiast
      • Jan 2018

great workaround

I found a workaround solution. I highlight the compare session and do a ‘save as’
      to another session name. After opening the new saved session (with different name),
      I enter more file names for source and target that have this same record length, grammar rules, and uimportant
      rules. The settings are copied over (cloned). It is just a few steps so I am happy. I had to think out of the box.
      I am so happy now. Doing a ‘save as’ from the session to create a cloned session does the trick.
      Thanks!

Originally posted by Aaron
      File Formats are global. If you are editing a format that can only be for a specific folder, then you would need multiple formats (Each defined with a mask that matches only for the specific folder, or disabled and enabled only in that Folder Compare session).

However, if you are only defining Unimportance, this can be done for a specific saved Folder Compare session by:
      - Double click on a file in the Folder Compare.
      - In the child Compare, go to the Session menu -> Session Settings, Importance tab, and define new Unimportant rules (above the grammar list).
      - Update the bottom dropdown from "use only for this view" to "use for all files in parent session"
      - Close the child compare, and re-save the parent Folder Compare session.

Comment

Working...