All copied files are read only. What can I do?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joel W
    Visitor
    • Feb 2018

All copied files are read only. What can I do?

I am a newbie to BC. I copied several hundred gig of files to a new drive and then headed out on a trip. Now I find that all the files on my drive are read only. What can I do? Is there a way to change the files so they are no longer read only? Thanks.

PS Why did this happen and how do I avoid it in the future?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Copy method wouldn't set Read Only, but the destination device might control this. If you copy a single file in BC4 or Explorer, does it also get set to Read Only?

If you select files in the destination, right click, and set Attributes, can you disable the read-only flag? Or if using Windows Explorer, right-click, Properties? Or is the destination device setting as read-only?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Joel W
      Visitor
      • Feb 2018

Solved problem, but will it happen again?

All is good after using windows explorer and going to properties, security, ownership, and allowing all to change attributes. After running for some 10minutes, I can now change and save all files. Whew.

I wonder if the problem (all copied files being read only) was a function of my drive or due to BC.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Joel W
      I am a newbie to BC. I copied several hundred gig of files to a new drive and then headed out on a trip. Now I find that all the files on my drive are read only. What can I do? Is there a way to change the files so they are no longer read only? Thanks.

PS Why did this happen and how do I avoid it in the future?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

BC4 uses the same basic copy function as Windows Explorer for a drive to drive copy. I'd expect to see similar results if you used Explorer to copy (before having made the Properties edit). Usually, these issues crop up depending on the destination device properties (which it looks like you've solved).
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Joel W
          Visitor
          • Feb 2018

Thank you Aaron.

Comment

Working...