X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmontag451
    Visitor
    • Feb 2018

Dropbox Copy and Compare fails due to Socket Shutdown

I'm trying to backup a number of photos and videos to Dropbox. Photos and smaller videos copy and compare just fine, but when a larger video takes more than a minute or so, the copy operation fails. I started using the Dropbox web interface to copy, but BC's compare operation still fails with a "Unable to retrieve <file>: Socket Shutdown"

At first, this was a rare occurrence, but now it's SOP. I thought perhaps Dropbox or my ISP might be throttling performance, but even after a day away, it continues to happen.

Is there a way around this? Thanks!
    Michael
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Which version of Beyond Compare are you currently using (Help menu -> About)? What protocol are you using to connect to Dropbox, our BC4 Pro Profile support?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• gmontag451
      Visitor
      • Feb 2018

Hi Aaron,
      I'm using BC 4.2.3 (build 22587) 64-bit edition (trial). I'm not sure what protocol is being used, or how to find out. Restarting my computer has seemed to help (but it's still got a lot of comparisons to go.)
      Michael

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Socket shutdowns are starting again.
      Last edited by gmontag451; 05-Feb-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

A full screen screenshot of the Folder Compare and/or the Tools menu -> Profiles dialog would help show your current setup. You can also email us at [email protected] with information you would like to keep private (including a link back to this forum thread for our reference). If you email us, you can also include your full settings from the Help menu -> Support dialog; Export: BCSupport.zip.

You mention rebooting the computer. Have you rebooted the router and/or modem as well? We sometimes see poor handling of very large dropbox transfers, but the error message we get back is usually "HTTP can't parse response", not a "socket shutdown".

And to confirm, is this Windows 10 64bit with the latest Fall Creator's Update or other updates applied? I ask because you originally posted in the BC2 forum (I'm going to move the thread to BC4 now).
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• gmontag451
          Visitor
          • Feb 2018

I'll send the screenshots/etc. via email. I haven't rebooted the router, which would disrupt other computers. I'm actually using Windows 8.1 64 bit with non-essential updates turned off around the time Microsoft started forcing Windows 10 on users.

Sorry for posting in BC2 and thanks for moving the thread; I just Googled for BC forum and ended up there!
          Last edited by gmontag451; 05-Feb-2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Jimbob70
            Visitor
            • Mar 2018

I'm having problems uploading 180MB and Up .AVI files to dropbox. I'm using a Dropbox profile, and my BC Pro version is 4.2.4 ( build 22795).
            It uploads about 50 - 100 MB (only a portion of the file ) and then gives a message that it successfully copied 1 item.
            After this, it still shows that the file sizes are different and it only uploaded part of the file.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. I'm seeing this behavior, too. We haven't made any recent changes to Dropbox to break it, but since it's reliant on an API, it's possible something has changed on the backend that we'll need to update. I'll open a tracker entry to investigate.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Jimbob70
                Visitor
                • Mar 2018

Any Updates on this issue ? I just checked this morning and I still can not copy a large .avi or photoshop .psd file to dropbox. Thanks!
                Last edited by Jimbob70; 15-May-2018, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yes, we're currently testing a fix and potential build of BC 4.2.5. Assuming testing and QA go well, you'll get a notification in program when the update rolls out, or you can subscribe to emails in the News and Announcements forum (where we post new release info).
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare 4.2.5 is now available, it should fix uploading large files to Dropbox.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Jimbob70
                      Visitor
                      • Mar 2018

Thanks For this Fix ! It works great !

Comment

Working...