X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikedgre
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2018

file format for folder compare

I have a folder where every file has the same file type. I do a folder compare to see only the file content differences. For every different file compare that is opened, I need to go to the file format and select the same one (COBOL). Is there a way to pick the file type applied to every file compare in the folder ?

For example. I have a folder with 100 COBOL programs and compare against another folder with 100 COBOL programs.
    I do not want to select the file format for every compare difference.

Thanks.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The default cobol extensions are "*.cbl;*.cob;*.cpy*". Do your files match these extensions? If not, what extensions do they use, and should they globally be treated as cobol (regardless of folder)? If so, you can add them to the extensions list in the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog, select COBOL, General tab. If the COBOL format has been edited, you can click Factory Defaults to restore the default masks and grammar items.

To more directly handle your question: yes, if you create a clone of the COBOL format (Tools menu -> File Formats dialog, select COBOL and Save As a copy). Assign the copy a file mask of *.*, but then uncheck/disable it globally in this dialog's format list. This way, it is associated for any file type, but disabled by default for any future sessions.
    Then go to your specific Folder Compare session, Session menu -> Session Settings, Misc tab, and in the Enabled File Formats list, check the cloned Cobol (enabling it) and uncheck all other formats. This leaves this session with it enabled, for all files, and disables any other format.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mikedgre
      Enthusiast
      • Jan 2018

fixed....

Thanks! I had to add a mask filter of *.* for these Source files. It is not always COBOL so I just created a new one.
      It could be JCLS or other mainframe source code files. When I view the extension on the folder compare for these
      files it is blank. That makes sense because I am reading them directly from the mainframe instead of PC.

Wow. I am so happy now. The other post is duplicate. I was not sure you would spot this so I placed the question in a another thread. I tried looking for the delete option on here.

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

The default cobol extensions are "*.cbl;*.cob;*.cpy*". Do your files match these extensions? If not, what extensions do they use, and should they globally be treated as cobol (regardless of folder)? If so, you can add them to the extensions list in the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog, select COBOL, General tab. If the COBOL format has been edited, you can click Factory Defaults to restore the default masks and grammar items.

To more directly handle your question: yes, if you create a clone of the COBOL format (Tools menu -> File Formats dialog, select COBOL and Save As a copy). Assign the copy a file mask of *.*, but then uncheck/disable it globally in this dialog's format list. This way, it is associated for any file type, but disabled by default for any future sessions.
      Then go to your specific Folder Compare session, Session menu -> Session Settings, Misc tab, and in the Enabled File Formats list, check the cloned Cobol (enabling it) and uncheck all other formats. This leaves this session with it enabled, for all files, and disables any other format.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

That's ok; no need to delete, since other users might find the thread and can be directed vice versa.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...