X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikedgre
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2018

Conversion setting not kept in text compare

Disregard this post. I got the solution for handling 2 different file lengths in text compare. I had to create a new file format for both 80 bytes and 133.
    I have 2 compare sessions saved off under 2 different folder names. I attached the 2 sessions which are 'RPT6 before to RPT6 after' (under EJCK compare) and 'MYAPEA34 to MYAPEA31' (under MF compare).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mikedgre; 30-Jan-2018, 04:03 PM. Reason: Disregard this. I added a new file format for 80 bytes and 133.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

While I don't see the full context, a couple of tips:

File Formats can have grammar names that are shared (same name, like "Comments") or unique ("Special Type Comment"). That way, when you handle Importance, you can check/uncheck either Comments or Special Type Comment to control importance across multiple formats.

Aligned text that is equal but belongs to different detected grammars is considered a difference. For example:
    Text here
    vs
    "Text here"

where the Text here characters will align, one of them would detect as a String, and be considered different.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mikedgre
      Enthusiast
      • Jan 2018

cloning the file format automatically ?

Hi Aaron,
      Thanks. I like how I can create new file formats with different record lengths and reuse. This saves time.
      The file format does not get inherited at the folder level. The Importance tab settings like unimportant text and Grammar do get cloned or inherited. Do you think the file format clone can be a feature that would be beneficial ? I can see it saving
      time if there are many files that have exactly the same file format and grammar settings.

I also have a question about replacement text and will post my question separately.

Originally posted by Aaron
      While I don't see the full context, a couple of tips:

File Formats can have grammar names that are shared (same name, like "Comments") or unique ("Special Type Comment"). That way, when you handle Importance, you can check/uncheck either Comments or Special Type Comment to control importance across multiple formats.

Aligned text that is equal but belongs to different detected grammars is considered a difference. For example:
      Text here
      vs
      "Text here"

where the Text here characters will align, one of them would detect as a String, and be considered different.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can clone a File Format from the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog, select your format, and use Save As to save a copy of the format. The shared grammar element names would use the default Importance for either format. Is this what you are looking for?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mikedgre
          Enthusiast
          • Jan 2018

I attached a clip of the format setting that is always checked off. As you can see, Detected (Everything Else) is checked off. The 2 files are in folders(PDS) on the Mainframe. I always click the new Source Code setting to try to keep that setting when I go back for the folder compare. This new Source Code setting is dropped and never the default.
          I want to default this new Source format setting for every file in the compared folders. How do I do this ?
          If I have 100 files, I do not want to have to go in the format and click Source for every compared file after looking at the content differences.

I also only checked off Source in the Session Settings - Folder Compare panel. The other formats are not checked. It should only use
          'Source' when I go into the compare results ?

I also tried a folder compare on my pc with just 2 text files in both. When I go into the compare result contents for both files, the Detected (Everything Else) is always checked off as default. It seems to be always stuck on this format. I want RTF format to be checked off in this case.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Aaron
          Hello,

You can clone a File Format from the Tools menu -> File Formats dialog, select your format, and use Save As to save a copy of the format. The shared grammar element names would use the default Importance for either format. Is this what you are looking for?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mikedgre; 01-Feb-2018, 03:44 PM. Reason: add another clip

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is this the same issue you posted about here?
            https://www.scootersoftware.com/vbul...folder-compare

You can either set the file extensions of the Source format to match so it is used, or set the Source format to match on everything "*.*", disable it globally, then in that specific Folder Compare, enable it and disable other formats in the Session Settings -> Misc tab.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mikedgre
              Enthusiast
              • Jan 2018

Thanks! I had to add a mask filter of *.* for these Source files. It is not always COBOL so I just created a new one.
              It could be JCLS or other mainframe source code files. When I view the extension on the folder compare for these
              files it is blank. That makes sense because I am reading them directly from the mainframe instead of PC.

Comment

Working...