Copy files when that same name is there already. Is there a way to rename it to xx(1)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • INeedHelp!
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2018

Copy files when that same name is there already. Is there a way to rename it to xx(1)

Trying to get into nuances of BC.

For some reason, I have several different files with same name in different folders. I'd like to put them all in the same folder with BC.

I get warned that there's already file xyz there. Do you want to overwrite it?

I don't see if there's a way to keep both as we can in windows - xyz and xyz(1).

Am I missing anything? I have BC4 Pro license.

if it's not in there, is this on the list for a future version?

any v5 or big release in the works?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC4 does not rename the copied file, but can rename the overwritten file instead of overwriting it. This is setup in the Tools menu -> Options, Backups tab. This is only one level, however; the next overwrite will then overwrite the one level of backup. If you need multiple levels, you'll have to manually perform the rename on the destination first (which, can act on multiple files), and then copy over (which no longer overwrites, since the destination has been renamed to a different name).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• SurplusGadgets
      Visitor
      • Jun 2007

I would do a plus-up vote for Journeyman's requested behavior. I have been successfully using BeyondCompare to search large FTP archives of files with a hierarchical directory structure. I need to copy all the "matched" files to my local system but without the convoluted directory paths. You have an option to ignore paths; thanks for that. But would also like an option like "noclobber". This works if I use HTTP as my FTP browser and select and download one at a time. I realize this seems to go against all concepts of mirror and synchronization. But it is just a different style of effort that is very useful given your tool understands processing FTP.

I can systematically script a rename of the files to add a unique ID based on the path given the order of grab. My only option now is to download the folder structure and bring the files to a common directory while renaming along the way. Much harder effort with "smart" shell script writing along the way.

This also would mimic a journaling file system and allow for differential backups or merges like is commonly found in backup systems.
      Last edited by SurplusGadgets; 16-Nov-2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. This is still a wishlist item, but I'll add all of your "noclobber" notes to our entry on the subject.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...