• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rjwh.janssen
    New User
    • Jan 2018

How to insert empty rules in a file compare - comparing 2 xls files

Hi all,

I'm not an experienced used - but perhaps you can help me out....

I'm comparing 2 different excel sheets - using the File Comparison.

I would like to insert empty white rules because in both the left- as right screen. Because when I have a missing rule in e.g. number 3 - all the lines after rule number 3 while be picked seen as differences.
    Therefore I would like to be able to insert an empty rule in e.g. the right screen to do further comparisons.
    I assumed the I could INSERT an empty line - however this option is greyed out.

Many thanks for your help and answers in advance! Really appreciate it!

Best regards,

Robert
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC4's Table Compare view for Excel (.xlsx) files is read only, and cannot be edited, but we can alter the view to re-arrange the columns for comparison.

This is found in the Session menu -> Session Settings, Columns tab. Here you can 'move' the columns around to tell which should align with which. Does this help push the columns up by one, so everything aligns again like you need and compares like you expect?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rjwh.janssen
      New User
      • Jan 2018

2nd question with regards to table compare

Hi Aaron,

Many thanks for your answer! I tried your sollution and this parially helps out!
      I'm trying to do the following things comparing 2 excel sheets and don't know if this is possible in BC.
      > Insert blank rules in the right or left screen to skip a rule (e.g. for a missing rule in one of the xls sheets)
      > Insert a unique key (e.g. by entering a trim function of for example A+B+C+D+E)

Hope that you are able to help out! Your help and assistance is much appreciated!

Thank you,

Robert

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

BC4's Table Compare view for Excel (.xlsx) files is read only, and cannot be edited, but we can alter the view to re-arrange the columns for comparison.

This is found in the Session menu -> Session Settings, Columns tab. Here you can 'move' the columns around to tell which should align with which. Does this help push the columns up by one, so everything aligns again like you need and compares like you expect?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can re-arrange the column alignment in the Table Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Columns.

Here you can also select and set specific columns as Key. The combination of every Key column forms the whole Key. From the main compare display view, you can also right click the column header and set it as Standard, Unimportant, or Key, so you can set Keys here, too.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...