• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 150d
    Enthusiast
    • Dec 2008

compare as-is

Hi,

frequently I'm running into the problem that I can't compare e.g. two archive files as they are. For example, I want to compare a ZIP with another ZIP byte-wise, not by its contents.

BC instead always tries to open the archive and compare its contents, which may fail. In another example, I have two files named IMG. When I compare those (from explorer/context menu/select first file/compare to), BC reports "error opening folder" for each of them instead of just comparing the two.

How can I fix this?

Regards
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

On a case by case basis, from a Folder Compare, go to the Session menu -> Session Settings, Handling tab, and set Treat Archives: As Files always. This can be For current view only with the dialog's bottom dropdown or switch to Also update session defaults.

If you want to fully disable it, you can navigate to the Tools menu -> Options dialog, Archive types, and remove the extensions for *.img, *.zip and any other extensions. Then restart BC4 to apply this change.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• 150d
      Enthusiast
      • Dec 2008

Hi,

I can't get this to work:

case 1: In (Windows) Explorer, I select two ZIP files. From the context menu, I select "compare" from the context menu. BC opens and shows the content of the two archivs. I make the selection in Session Settings and close this dialog. The UI still shows the content of the archivs, not the archives themselves.

case 2: In (Windows) Explorer, I select two IMG files and choose compare. BC comes up with a prompt "folder not available". In the two path boxes (above the file lists) it says "Error opening folder". I select cancel to close the prompt, change Session Settings as before, then as soon as I close this dialog the prompt "folder not available" comes up again.

(I'm using BC v4.2.3.)

Isn't there a way to fit this into the explorer context menu, e.g. a seperate option "compare as-is"?

Edit:
      I also tried the "permanent" method instead of the session-based one. This works for me, since I hardly ever want to compare archive contents. Of course, I'd still prefer not to loose the functionality of looking inside files altogether.

Regards
      Last edited by 150d; 16-Jan-2018, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks. And yes, the first method only works for the internal Folder Compare behavior. To alter the shell extension behavior, you'd need to use the second method. It's on our wishlist to expand this and allow the shell extension to treat archives as either.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• 150d
          Enthusiast
          • Dec 2008

Hello,

excellent; thank you very much.

Regards

Comment

• tfrost
            Expert
            • Feb 2006

I just enable 'Compare Using' in the Windows context menu, in addition to 'Compare' (in Tools/Options/Startup/Explorer Integration). I have archives set to open by default (for when I select Compare to compare contents), and if I need to compare byte by byte I simply select Compare With / Hex Compare. Isn't this what you are trying to achieve?

Comment

• 150d
              Enthusiast
              • Dec 2008

Hi,

yes, indeed it is.

But this only works if BC doesn't recognize the first file as a "folder". With standard settings, it does see a ZIP as a folder, and then the "Compare using..." context menu is not offered.

If the ZIP archive type is disabled in BC settings, then this works, but then it's the same behaviour that a simple "Compare" (not "Compare using...") would do as well.

Regards

Comment

• tfrost
                Expert
                • Feb 2006

Apologies, I had never noticed that the menu item was suppressed in this case. I have used Compare With often, but clearly not for the specific purpose you need.

Aaron, please add my vote to this wishlist item!

Comment

Working...