X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tamashika
    New User
    • Jan 2018

How to create a game update patch?

A game I play got updated, and it seems like the update deleted and added some of my files.
    Is it possible for me to recreate this patch to update another old version game I have using BC4?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC4 can load two directories side by side in the Folder Compare. Are both game installs on the same machine, or would you need to access one remotely (Windows Network shared folder or FTP)?

This also assumes the game patch only modifies files in that directory, and not in other locations or the Windows Registry.

You can compare the old and new Game folders to see which files were deleted, added, or modified (content compare scan: Rules-based or Binary). BC4 supports copying files from one side to the other to help deploy, but you'd want to make sure that's all the game patch needs to do. Since BC4 does not support an Undo command, I would suggest testing with a Copy of the Game directory first, in case the deployment isn't working as you expect and you need to roll back.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• tamashika
      New User
      • Jan 2018

Another machine does not have access to the internet, so I was thinking about making a standalone patch.

I tried to create the patch using folder compare. What I did was making a snapshot for the old version game folder, then export the newly added files out. However, I don't know how to make BC4 automatically generate a script or bat file for the files it deleted. Is it possible for BC4 to do that?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Not directly, no. You can bring the Snapshot .bcss file over to the Destination machine, compare against it, and manually delete files on the destination side.

Note that BC4 does not have an Undo, so carefully review before committing a delete.

For propagating the files, which sounds like you have handled, we have a helpful KB article reference here:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...=kb_sneakernet
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...