X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Troy
    Visitor
    • Jul 2017

How to Ingore Metadata in JPG File During Folder Compare

I write metadata stored in a database to my jpg files a couple of times per year using Photoshop. When I do this it changes the crc and binary comparison values that BC4 detects. To verify file integrity over time I would like to use BC4 to compare the data content only of my jpg files and ignore their metadata when I do a folder compare. I believe the solution is to use a rules-based comparison and define a file-format for a jpg mask that ignores the metadata in each file. Is this the right approach and how should I proceed?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

First, double click a specific picture, and make sure the Meta tab/button is disabled. Then from the Folder Compare, go to the Session menu -> Session Settings, Comparison tab. Leave the default timestamp/size/override enabled, and also enable the Rules-based scan. This will perform the Rules-based scan using the defaults (with meta disabled).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Troy
      Visitor
      • Jul 2017

Aaron,

Sorry, I don't see the Meta tab button when I double click a picture in a folder compare session. Could you point me in the right direction?

Comment

• Troy
        Visitor
        • Jul 2017

Aaron,

Issue resolved. I had downloaded the file format for EXIF headers which I think was causing the problem. I reinstalled BC4 and the folder compare works as you describe above, though I don't understand why toggling the meta tab in the picture compare view affects the rules based scan in the folder view.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

The Rules-based scan uses the current defaults for the comparison, and that includes the Meta tab's visibility; if it is visible it is part of the comparison results (which you can see in the bottom left status bar of the Picture Compare as you toggle it on or off).

And yes, sorry about that. The Picture Compare recently added the Meta tab, whereas previously you would have needed the EXIF format download to compare (only) that header information. In the Tools menu -> File Formats list, you can move the formats up or down in the priority list. If EXIF is installed, you can move it lower than the default Picture format; this would allow the Picture format to be the default behavior, but still keeps the other associated formats installed.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Todd
            Visitor
            • Jan 2018

I have been looking for this solution for a while and it was a pain to have to keep manually comparing these images. Thanks for the steps on how to get this working.

Comment

Working...