Question Google Drive - BeyondCompare support for?

What features already existing in BeyondCompare provide support for using the newly launched google drive? Are there plans to implement new features too?

See question/answer about Windows Explorer support for Google Drive here:
    http://superuser.com/questions/41959...ars-as-a-usual

Hello,

The Folder is simply located on your harddrive, and can be loaded in the Folder Compare for comparing timestamps and size, a snapshot could be created, etc.

The *.gdoc files themselves are not plain text documents. They contain URL information and act as shortcuts when executed with the Google Drive installed application. The URL information could be compared, but not the text document contents at this time.

If you are familiar with an application that can take these files and export the text content as a plain text output, please let us know and we can look into incorporating such a workflow with an External Conversion rule.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Any chance of having Google Drive as a Profile in BC 4? Thanks a lot in advance.

Default One Way to Sync With Google Drive

Quote Originally Posted by gustms View Post
    Any chance of having Google Drive as a Profile in BC 4? Thanks a lot in advance.
    One easy way to compare files in Google Drive is to:

1. Download the Google Drive For Windows/Mac
    2. Install it
    3. Sync with Google Drive
    4. Compare the folders from that tool with the one you want

More details here.

Thanks,
    Brad

In addition to Brad's suggestion, which is a good workaround in the current version, Google Drive support is something on our wishlist, and we would like to tackle it as a Profile type.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Cool Update to Brad's suggestion

Hi,

Often Brad's suggestion will work. But I wrestle daily with times when the Google Drive is not synching correctly. I am synching 1+ TB. This may have something to do with the problems I run into with Google Drive. I see it trying to check more than a million files. And no matter how long I leave it on, the Google Drive sync never seems to finish.

Symptoms include:
    1. Copying files to a Google drive create a duplicate file (same name) about 2% of the time.
    2. I have waited sometimes several weeks, and some of the files or directories on the local copies of Google Drive on my local hard disk (only the ones I select of course), never sync.
    3. Google frequently changes some of the pixels in an image in the lower right corner. I am guessing this is so it can uniquely identify each image somehow. The problem is that they then will not compare as the same. Google makes thesee changes so as to minimally impact the image we see.
    4. Something like that is also going on with some audio files. When I copy, lets say, an .mp3 from my computer to the Google Drive local copy, it compares correctly. But later, lets say the next day, it may no longer compare. Not all, or even most .mp3s, but far too many to ignore.

Almost daily I use BC4 to copy files between the GoogleDrive local disks since otherwise they are not copying.

To correct for some of these, I did the following:

1. Use BC4 to copy files between the local GD copy on each computer. Even though the contents will be identical, Google may create a duplicate file. I made the online GD, and each local copy on each computer look the same. This is a problem if you use the .gdoc, .gsheet
    2. I had to resort to manually (using BC4) sync each of my local GD areaas with each other.
    3. Then created a bunch of .bat files (Windows of course), along with the public domain RCLONE program.
    4. One of the command line switches for RCLONE tells it that when it copies a Google type file (.gdoc, etc...) to convert it to a Microsoft compatible file with corresponding file type. ie.. convert aaa.gdoc to aaa.docs. Works with docs sheets and slides.
    5. Use BC to locate:
      a) duplicate files - delete them,
      b) files found in Microsoft format and corresponding Google specific file, (i.e. when aaa.docx is found along with aaa.gdoc). Open both (yeah this can be a lot of work) and visually compare the 2 files. Why? Because sometimes Google does not do a perfect good job of converting .gdoc files, for instance, to a .docx format (or visa versa). Same for .gsheet & others.

Just my 2 cents worth. :-)