X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klm
    New User
    • Dec 2017

64-bit version for Mac?

Apple seems to be getting more serious about 64-bit apps on macOS (see 64-bit Requirement for Mac Apps) -- and we've seen with iOS 11 that they're serious about stopping support for 32-bit apps.

Any plans for Beyond Compare on the Mac to be compiled 64-bits?
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

We're working on it as quickly as we can, but due to the tech we're using and some decisions we made a long time ago, it's a huge project and it's going to take a while. Believe me, we very much want to be ready before the cutoff.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• klm
      New User
      • Dec 2017

Completely understand, Zoë, thanks for the update.

Comment

• hasii2017
        New User
        • May 2017

+1 for Humberto

Comment

• Eiffel
          New User
          • Apr 2018

I've got an issue after upgraded to macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 today.
          https://support.apple.com/zh-hk/HT208436

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

The "App is not optimized for your Mac. This app needs to be updated by its developer to improve compatibility" warning should only be displayed once. After that you should be able to run Beyond Compare normally.

As stated by our lead developer Zoë earlier in this thread, we're working hard on a 64-bit macOS version of Beyond Compare. Apple hasn't set an end date for 32-bit app support, they've only started warning that apps should be updated to 64-bit.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• pwa
              New User
              • Apr 2018

Lots of rumors / reports that the next Mac OS will not support 32 bit apps. Based on these rumors and past history 10.14 will be released in or around September 2018. If true (seems likely) then the clock is now ticking. I think beyond compare is the best file/folder comparison tool available for the Mac - that is why I bought it (and I have tested and purchased several others in the past two years). Please consider releasing a 64 bit version before September.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks. We're working on it.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dgarratt
                  Journeyman
                  • Sep 2013

Any news on the 64bit version ?

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

No change in status since the last post. Our developers are working hard on a 64-bit Mac version of Beyond Compare, but it's a big project that will take some time before it's ready for release.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• alrizopa
                      New User
                      • Sep 2018

Best-in-class BC needs a 64-bit port

Originally posted by pwa
                      Lots of rumors / reports that the next Mac OS will not support 32 bit apps. Based on these rumors and past history 10.14 will be released in or around September 2018. If true (seems likely) then the clock is now ticking. I think beyond compare is the best file/folder comparison tool available for the Mac - that is why I bought it (and I have tested and purchased several others in the past two years). Please consider releasing a 64 bit version before September.
                      I agree. Beyond Compare is "best-in-class." Re-compile and re-link the product to 64-bit is not an option for running in future macOS versions. It will become a must-have. I read somewhere that Mojave will still run 32-bit apps, but macOS will certainly become more restrictive beyond that.

Comment

• Chris
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

We're aware that macOS 10.15 (September or October 2019) will remove 32-bit app support and are working hard on a 64-bit version to meet that deadline.

32-bit apps including Beyond Compare 4 will be supported in macOS 10.14 (September or October 2018).
                        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• scoccera
                          New User
                          • Sep 2018

Thanks so much for the effort of transitioning to 64-bit. This application is a must for me -- I've been using it since 2005 on Windows before switching to Mac. This application has no equal!

Comment

• katw
                            Visitor
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by scoccera
                            This application is a must for me -- I've been using it since 2005 on Windows before switching to Mac. This application has no equal!
                            Here Here, ditto for me (And from about same date if not a little earlier)... long-live BC

Comment

• dempson
                              Enthusiast
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Chris
                              32-bit apps including Beyond Compare 4 will be supported in macOS 10.14 (September or October 2018).
                              One point to be aware of with 32-bit applications on macOS 10.14: the warning about being "not optimized" is displayed again periodically, on launch 30 days or more after the previous warning was displayed for the same application. The warning alert needs to be dismissed before Beyond Compare will finish launching and actually do anything. This may interfere with some workflows where you are expecting an automated task to proceed, e.g. when using the command line tool and scripting Beyond Compare.

I hope Apple doesn't make this warning even more frequent in later updates of macOS 10.14, or I'll be switching some legacy software to running in a macOS 10.13 virtual machine sooner than I'm currently intending. I really don't want to have to do that for Beyond Compare.

Comment

Working...