• Show
Clear All
  • peterr
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2004

BC4 giving inconsistant results for the same folder/files compare

Version 4.2.3 (build 22587)
    Kubuntu 16.04

Yesterday I was comparing 2 versions of wordpress in 2 seperate folders. I knew there would be differences, so was surprised when BC4 stated all files were equal. Then changed how I 'selected' the fileset. The results were either 18 differences or 9 differences ?? But this was the same fileset ??

Whilst BC4 was running, the resources on the laptop seemed low, yet the cpu monitor showed cpu and memory not above 20 %. By 'low' I mean, response was very slow and video/display was taking much longer than usual.

Recently I used BC4 to compare a huge set of folders/files on another computer. Like it took all day to compare 2 hard drives against a portable drive. So now I'm concerned as to whether BC4 compared correctly or not ??
  • peterr
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2004

Some screenshots to explain what happened. Hmm, the attachments aren't appearing in the same order as I uploaded them..

Anyway, for the first screendump (file BC4_Post_16239_3.png), I did an expand all, select all and then compare. Note the results dialogue states 834 same and 9 differences, which is not correct.

For the 3rd screendump (file BC4_Post_16239_1.png), just the folders were selected (no expand all), then compared and the results dialogue is shown as the 2nd screendump (file BC4_Post_16239_2.png).

To add to the inconsistency, one compare of the same fileset showed all files being equal ??

There are no filters, and the settings are 'show all' and 'compare files and folder structures'. Am I able to run BC4 in debg mode and send the results to Scooter software ?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

It's a bit difficult to troubleshoot without a full screen screenshot (showing the toolbar, filters, base folders, etc), but here's my hunch:

I notice the folder size at the top has the same number, and this is built based on the contents within. So it seems likely that both folders have the same items loaded, but the selection isn't selecting all of them. The Compare Contents command only acts on the selection, so if some items aren't included (due to filtering difference) then they wouldn't be part of the Compare Contents Results dialog, even if they are on screen. If you view the Session menu -> Folder Compare Info dialog, or generate a report by Expand All, then Session menu -> Folder Compare Report, what file counts do you see?

Do you have an Name Filters configured? This could exclude items at a certain location, but if you change base folders may no longer exclude the same items depending on the original/current syntax of the filter.

Update: if you are still having trouble, would it be possible to get an email to [email protected] including:
      - Full screen screenshots showing the toolbar and paths
      - Snapshots of each folder in each screenshot (Tools menu -> Save Snapshot, 4 times for each location as loaded)
      - Your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export
      - A link back to this forum thread for our reference
      Last edited by Aaron; 04-Dec-2017, 04:03 PM. Reason: Update
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
        Fanatic
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Aaron
        It's a bit difficult to troubleshoot without a full screen screenshot (showing the toolbar, filters, base folders, etc), but here's my hunch:
        It was simply a privacy issue, not to post the full path name, as in Linux it has the username (login name).

I notice the folder size at the top has the same number, and this is built based on the contents within. So it seems likely that both folders have the same items loaded,
        If you view the 3rd attachment, it shows the lhs as 28,141,496 and the rhs as 28,141,393 . The lhs is wordpress 4.9, the rhs is wordpress 4.9.1

.. but the selection isn't selecting all of them.
        Yes, that is the main issue. The 'select all' function is used though. I have had compares in the past, where I 'select all' and if I scroll down, all the files are shaded a different colour, yet when the compare is done, it will state everything is equal. Then if I scroll down, some files have been missed (not equal or not equal sign), yet it appears as if those files have been included in the selection, .. just by the colours ??

It's quite a powerful laptop, so I don't think it is resources.

The Compare Contents command only acts on the selection, so if some items aren't included (due to filtering difference) then they wouldn't be part of the Compare Contents Results dialog, even if they are on screen. If you view the Session menu -> Folder Compare Info dialog, or generate a report by Expand All, then Session menu -> Folder Compare Report, what file counts do you see?
        Its showing the 18 file differences.

Do you have an Name Filters configured? This could exclude items at a certain location, but if you change base folders may no longer exclude the same items depending on the original/current syntax of the filter.
        I don't use any filters. It shows *.*

Update: if you are still having trouble, would it be possible to get an email to [email protected] including:
        - Full screen screenshots showing the toolbar and paths
        - Snapshots of each folder in each screenshot (Tools menu -> Save Snapshot, 4 times for each location as loaded)
        - Your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export
        - A link back to this forum thread for our reference
        Yes, sure I can do that. There is one factor that could be causing this. There is a process called "baloo_file" that was running at the time. In the past, 'baloo' was known to cause high CPU usage problems, but I think those issues are resolved. Whilst I was doing the compare, baloo was using 25% of the CPU resources. That shouldn't matter though.

Whenever I do this type of compare it is after unzipping a website backup. However, the extractor (Ark) had finished extracted all the files, and therefore "baloo" had started to update file indexing. I assume there is a small possibilty that if certain processes are altering a fileset whilst BC4 is doing the compare, then the BC4 results may be affected ?? However, baloo shouldn't be changing files, only the file indexing system. Unless BC4 uses the file indexing system ?? Clutching at straws I guess.

Comment

• peterr
          Fanatic
          • Nov 2004

I'm not able to reproduce the results that showed the inconsistancies. Possibly if it does happen agin, I can run a debug or similar ??

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can enable additional logging and debug logging in the Options dialog, under the Tweaks section, under Logging. Generating Reports and saving Snapshots (Tools menu -> Save Snapshot) would help us determine what is visible on screen and if it differs from what is selected or acted upon. I would suggest emailing all of this to [email protected] (along with a link back to this forum thread for our reference.)

Update: And full screen screenshots, with any information you would like to keep private blurred out.
            Last edited by Aaron; 11-Dec-2017, 11:01 AM. Reason: Update
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
              Fanatic
              • Nov 2004

Okay thanks Aaron, for your advice and how to log/debug if it happens again.

Comment

• peterr
                Fanatic
                • Nov 2004

The problem appeared in a minor way today. It was a folder/files view, and I just wanted to move a number of files from left to right. So I selected all the files to be moved. But it missed some ? I ignored it as I needed to move 3 more, so selected those 3, and it missed one ? I will now enable to log/debug, in the hope something gets logged. Will send an email with a screen dump showing what happened.

I can only summise that it is a selction problem possibly ??

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

I also responded by email.

This definitely appears to be a selection bug. The current Linux version of BC has a known selection bug. Occasionally, file or comparison operations on a selection will only operate on a subset of selected files and folders. We're working on debugging and tracking down the issue. When the selection bug occurs, it appears a restart of Beyond Compare will temporarily resolve the issue.

I've added your email and a link to this forum thread in our internal bug tracker for the Linux selection issue, we'll email you and update this forum thread when a fix is released.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

As a workaround for the selection bug, click the Rules toolbar button and check Compare Contents in the Comparison tab. Setting content comparison in session settings operates on all files instead of selected files, so it shouldn't be affected by the bug.
                    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
                      Fanatic
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Chris
                      As a workaround for the selection bug, click the Rules toolbar button and check Compare Contents in the Comparison tab. Setting content comparison in session settings operates on all files instead of selected files, so it shouldn't be affected by the bug.
                      Okay thanks Chris, I have done that. Hope that won't slow BC4 down - need to create a new post.

Comment

• Chris
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare 4.2.4 is now available, it fixes the Folder Compare selection bug on Linux.
                        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
                          Fanatic
                          • Nov 2004

Great, thanks for fixing it Chris.

Comment

Working...