Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrdou
    Visitor
    • Nov 2017

My BC 4.2.3 32 bits always see files and folders as read only on my usb stick

... although I can modify files on it, but only before BC has been launched. As soon as BC access it for diffing, and even after having closed BC, files are ro on usb key and no file change is possible.
    I am running Debian Jessie 8.9.
    I didn't find a solution neither on this forum nor in the KB
  • peterr
    Fanatic
    • Nov 2004

I have found BC is very 'particular' with file permissions, and that is good. For example, it may issue a message that a compare fails and (for me) it is usually file permissions. Often I have to run BC as 'sudo' as per ..

Code:
    sudo bcompare
    in a terminal window.

Comment

• Chris
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

If using "sudo bcompare" to run BC as root doesn't fix the problem, what file system are you using on the USB key (Fat32, NTFS, Ext3, etc)?
      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• peterr
        Fanatic
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Chris
        If using "sudo bcompare" to run BC as root doesn't fix the problem
        Yes it does fix the problem for me. My reply wasn't so much for USB devices, but I often find copies and compares don't work when (for example) I have a external drive and comparing against the paths on the hard drive. By running BC4 as sudo, the problem is solved. Therefore, it is not a "type" of file system isuue, it is a permissions issue.

Comment

• chrdou
          Visitor
          • Nov 2017

For me, "sudo bcompare" doesn't solve my issue and the behaviour remains unchanged : all files and folders on usb key side are tagged "(r)" and can't be touched.
          USB key is FAT32.

Comment

• chrdou
            Visitor
            • Nov 2017

+ it is working fine with WinMerge !;-) (in the same conditions, of course : same usb key, same directories)

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

Would it be possible to get a set of before and after screenshots showing the device directory in the file explorer, and in BC4? I set up a test vm of Debian 8.9 32bit, and installed 32bit BC4.2.4, but don't see this behavior when accessing a fat32 usb device. The items are editable and not read only.

Update: you can post, or email us at [email protected] (along with a link back to this forum thread for our reference).
              Last edited by Aaron; 05-Dec-2017, 03:40 PM. Reason: Update
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrdou
                Visitor
                • Nov 2017

It a pity because I successfully used Beyond Compare (trial version) in the exact same conditions during months and professiionnally for years and I have just decided to buy it personnally because I am used to it and Winmerge and Kdiff3 aren't as good as BC...

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

That it is working on my machine and your previous machines, I believe we can get this working. I don't think it's a general issue with the OS and BC4 combination, but something specific to how you originally installed it, or some other factor that is causing the problem.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrdou
                    Visitor
                    • Nov 2017

Yes, you are probably right.
                    How would you like to proceed to reach a solution ?

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

First, do you have an alternate USB stick to test with? Or can you back up the current stick, and then re-format it?

Update: talking with a developer, and the issue might be with mount permissions. I found an article on setting them here:
                      https://superuser.com/questions/7981...tion-in-ubuntu
                      Last edited by Aaron; 13-Dec-2017, 11:59 AM. Reason: Update
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chrdou
                        Visitor
                        • Nov 2017

Unfortunately, even after manual mounting (sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /media/FAT32 -o rw,uid=1000,gid=1000), the behaviour is the same : files are marked as (r) as soon as I open a text diff.
                        No issue if using another FAT stick.
                        Let me try to back it up + reformat.

Comment

Working...