X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OldTimeRocker
    New User
    • Nov 2017

Black & Gold Heatmaps in Image Compare

I have a VBScript that I run which compares two different folders of images using Beyond Compare 4.

The script file that it uses to run compares is this:
    criteria rules-based ignore-unimportant
    picture-report layout:side-by-side output-to:"%3" output-options:html-color "%1" "%2"

The "Colors, Fonts" settings on the "Picture Compare" tab for the Beyond Compare 4 installation are the following:

General -> Background = Black
    Tolerance mode colors -> Same pixels = Black
    Tolerance mode colors -> Different pixels = Red
    Tolerance mode colors -> Similar pixels = White

The problem is that all of the heatmaps that are being generated all similar to this:

https://i.imgur.com/TaNF1P8.png

I decided to try and update the software, which I did (an update was available).
    The software is now Version 4.2.3 (build 22587). I then rebooted the machine.
    However, it's still generating the same black & gold heatmaps.

When I ran the comparisons from a different machine though (version 4.1.9, build 21719), it generated perfect heatmaps (gray-scale with differences highlighted in bright red). I'm afraid to update that installation, though, since it is working well. The settings on the Picture Compare tab under Colors, Fonts are exactly the same as the installation that is generating the bad heatmaps.

Why am I getting the odd black & gold heatmaps? Is there something that has changed in the settings that I am missing? I appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thanks!

OTR
  • Zoë
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

The picture compare has multiple comparison modes: "Tolerance", "Mismatch Range", and "Blend", which affect how the comparison looks. The one you want is "Tolerance", which is the greyscale with red/blue. "Mismatch Range" is the yellow/black, which shows how different each pixel is by how brightly yellow it is.

You need to change the setting from the user interface. Open a picture compare and click the "Tol" button on the toolbar or select 'Tolerance Mode" from the "View" menu.

I would have expected it to be possible to control that from the script itself, and I'll make a note in our feature request list to enhance that.
    Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• OldTimeRocker
      New User
      • Nov 2017

That did the trick!

Originally posted by Zoë
      The picture compare has multiple comparison modes: "Tolerance", "Mismatch Range", and "Blend", which affect how the comparison looks. The one you want is "Tolerance", which is the greyscale with red/blue. "Mismatch Range" is the yellow/black, which shows how different each pixel is by how brightly yellow it is.

You need to change the setting from the user interface. Open a picture compare and click the "Tol" button on the toolbar or select 'Tolerance Mode" from the "View" menu.

I would have expected it to be possible to control that from the script itself, and I'll make a note in our feature request list to enhance that.
      Zoë,

Thank you so much! That fixed it. Someone had to have changed our settings on our VM. I never thought to actually open a couple of images to see what settings were available, since we never use the Beyond Compare GUI for comparing. We only use scripts.

I, too, would love to see a way to specify "Tolerance Mode" from within our Script file. That would be a big help for us.

Thanks again, I appreciate your helpful reply!

Ron Turrentine
      Last edited by OldTimeRocker; 29-Nov-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...