X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • callion82
    Visitor
    • Nov 2017

Too slow while comparing folder/text file

I am using the latest version of BC4 in OSX, High Sierra.
    Recently, I am suffering from a speed issue about BC4.
    I do not know that the problem occurs from the latest version of BC4 or High Sierra.
    Please check this problem.

I use...
    OSX High Sierra 10.13.1
    BC4 Version 4.2.3 (build 22587)
    Mac Pro (Late 2013)
    3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
    64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
    1TB SSD

Thanks
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Is Beyond Compare slow to launch, or just slow running a comparison?

How large are the files or folders you're comparing?

What is the total number of files you're comparing?

What type of files are you comparing?

Are the files on internal disks, network drives, FTP servers, or some other network location?

Are you using the default file size and timestamp comparison settings, or are you using content comparison (CRC, binary, or rules-based)?

Does it help if you reboot your Mac?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• callion82
      Visitor
      • Nov 2017

Is Beyond Compare slow to launch, or just slow running a comparison?
      Fast launch and comparison but cursor moves slowly in folder/file comparison.

How large are the files or folders you're comparing?
      The folder has lots of files because of node_modules but I uses file and folder name filters.

What is the total number of files you're comparing?
      Same as the above.

What type of files are you comparing?
      Every files are text files.

Are the files on internal disks, network drives, FTP servers, or some other network location?
      Only use local file system on SSD.

Are you using the default file size and timestamp comparison settings, or are you using content comparison (CRC, binary, or rules-based)?
      Usually binary but every modes are too slow. Before updating BC4 and Mac OSX, it was fast.

Does it help if you reboot your Mac?
      Not at all.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

What screen resolution is the monitor or monitors connected to your Mac Pro? We've had one customer report slow performance when using a 5K monitor.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• callion82
          Visitor
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Chris
          What screen resolution is the monitor or monitors connected to your Mac Pro? We've had one customer report slow performance when using a 5K monitor.
          I use two monitors. The resolution of one is 4K (3840x2160) and the other is 1080x1920(vertical).

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Are any other applications on your Mac slow after upgrading to High Sierra (10.13)?

Apple's Support Communities topic for High Sierra has multiple posts about slowdowns after upgrading to High Sierra:

Q: macOS High Sierra 10.13 slow graphics after battery sleep

Q: High Sierra has made my MacBook Pro abysmally slow
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• callion82
              Visitor
              • Nov 2017

Are any other applications on your Mac slow after upgrading to High Sierra (10.13)?

Apple's Support Communities topic for High Sierra has multiple posts about slowdowns after upgrading to High Sierra:

Q: macOS High Sierra 10.13 slow graphics after battery sleep

Q: High Sierra has made my MacBook Pro abysmally slow
              No, only BC4.

I read all contents you wrote. However, I do not think they are related to this issue.

The worst thing I suffer is the movement of cursor in text/folder comparison.

I usually use BC4 by keystroke while file/folder comparing. The movement is following too slowly...

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for the additional information. Our Mac developer is out on vacation, when he's back in the office I'll discuss this issue with him and post a follow up.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

I discussed the issue with our Mac developer. He said he doesn't immediately know what is causing the performance issue. I did check our records and we've had 3 other customers report similar issues when using external 4K or 5K monitors on Macbook Pros and a Mac Pro.

Our Mac developer uses dual 1600x1200 monitors, that might be why he hasn't encountered the performance issue you reported. I ordered a 4K monitor for Mac performance testing in our office today, we'll follow up in this forum thread after we've run some tests with it.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• callion82
                    Visitor
                    • Nov 2017

I am still waiting... Any progress?

I discussed the issue with our Mac developer. He said he doesn't immediately know what is causing the performance issue. I did check our records and we've had 3 other customers report similar issues when using external 4K or 5K monitors on Macbook Pros and a Mac Pro.

Our Mac developer uses dual 1600x1200 monitors, that might be why he hasn't encountered the performance issue you reported. I ordered a 4K monitor for Mac performance testing in our office today, we'll follow up in this forum thread after we've run some tests with it.
                    I am waiting your reply. Any progress now?

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

We received a 4K monitor for testing, but haven't been able to duplicate the issue so far. Our Mac developer is running 10.11 on his primary system due to limitations of a development tool he uses. It's possible the performance issue only happens in 10.12 and 10.13 so we'll have to do further testing.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

callion82,

You said your Mac Pro 2013 has a 4K and 1080p monitor (vertical). Is the performance issue better if you move BC's window to the 1080p monitor instead of the 4K monitor, or do both displays have equally bad performance for BC?
                        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

We've now tested with two systems, using a 4K and a 1080p display, on High Sierra and Mountain Lion, and the performance looks fine. It's a little more sluggish than I'd like, but that's not new, and it doesn't appear to have gotten worse recently. Part of it is that macOS isn't the lead platform, so there are some inefficiencies compared to the Windows version or a macOS-only app, and part of it is that we're using some outdated technologies. We're working on replacing those, but it's a big project and it's going to take significant time to complete.

Were you using BC previously on the same computer without the slowdown?

We are interested in hearing from anyone who's experiencing this to see how widespread it is. One person sent us a YouTube video showing the problem, and any sort of screen captured video like that would be very useful.
                          Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• mickaelperrin
                            Visitor
                            • May 2016

Sadly, I can confirm the issue. BC4 is deadly slow (unusable) in the window comparing folders trees.

As other users, I have a multimonitors (4) with 4K:
                            - internal MBP TB 15 2016
                            - 1 4K
                            - 1 FHD
                            - 1 HD

Not sure, but it looks like this is related to 4.2.4.

The issue is mainly when using BC4 on the external 4k display, when moving the window on the MBP screen. Things are getting better.

How can I revert back to 4.2.3 ?

Thanks,

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Hello,

Email us at [email protected] along with a link back to this forum thread explaining your issue. We can troubleshoot further and also send you an older release.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...