Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5

    Unhappy Too slow while comparing folder/text file

    I am using the latest version of BC4 in OSX, High Sierra.
    Recently, I am suffering from a speed issue about BC4.
    I do not know that the problem occurs from the latest version of BC4 or High Sierra.
    Please check this problem.

    I use...
    OSX High Sierra 10.13.1
    BC4 Version 4.2.3 (build 22587)
    Mac Pro (Late 2013)
    3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
    64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
    1TB SSD

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,715

    Default

    Is Beyond Compare slow to launch, or just slow running a comparison?

    How large are the files or folders you're comparing?

    What is the total number of files you're comparing?

    What type of files are you comparing?

    Are the files on internal disks, network drives, FTP servers, or some other network location?

    Are you using the default file size and timestamp comparison settings, or are you using content comparison (CRC, binary, or rules-based)?

    Does it help if you reboot your Mac?
    Chris K Scooter Software

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Is Beyond Compare slow to launch, or just slow running a comparison?
    Fast launch and comparison but cursor moves slowly in folder/file comparison.

    How large are the files or folders you're comparing?
    The folder has lots of files because of node_modules but I uses file and folder name filters.

    What is the total number of files you're comparing?
    Same as the above.

    What type of files are you comparing?
    Every files are text files.

    Are the files on internal disks, network drives, FTP servers, or some other network location?
    Only use local file system on SSD.

    Are you using the default file size and timestamp comparison settings, or are you using content comparison (CRC, binary, or rules-based)?
    Usually binary but every modes are too slow. Before updating BC4 and Mac OSX, it was fast.

    Does it help if you reboot your Mac?
    Not at all.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,715

    Default

    What screen resolution is the monitor or monitors connected to your Mac Pro? We've had one customer report slow performance when using a 5K monitor.
    Chris K Scooter Software

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    What screen resolution is the monitor or monitors connected to your Mac Pro? We've had one customer report slow performance when using a 5K monitor.
    I use two monitors. The resolution of one is 4K (3840x2160) and the other is 1080x1920(vertical).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,715

    Default

    Are any other applications on your Mac slow after upgrading to High Sierra (10.13)?

    Apple's Support Communities topic for High Sierra has multiple posts about slowdowns after upgrading to High Sierra:

    Q: macOS High Sierra 10.13 slow graphics after battery sleep

    Q: High Sierra has made my MacBook Pro abysmally slow
    Chris K Scooter Software

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Are any other applications on your Mac slow after upgrading to High Sierra (10.13)?

    Apple's Support Communities topic for High Sierra has multiple posts about slowdowns after upgrading to High Sierra:

    Q: macOS High Sierra 10.13 slow graphics after battery sleep

    Q: High Sierra has made my MacBook Pro abysmally slow
    No, only BC4.

    I read all contents you wrote. However, I do not think they are related to this issue.

    The worst thing I suffer is the movement of cursor in text/folder comparison.

    I usually use BC4 by keystroke while file/folder comparing. The movement is following too slowly...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,715

    Default

    Thanks for the additional information. Our Mac developer is out on vacation, when he's back in the office I'll discuss this issue with him and post a follow up.
    Chris K Scooter Software

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,715

    Default

    I discussed the issue with our Mac developer. He said he doesn't immediately know what is causing the performance issue. I did check our records and we've had 3 other customers report similar issues when using external 4K or 5K monitors on Macbook Pros and a Mac Pro.

    Our Mac developer uses dual 1600x1200 monitors, that might be why he hasn't encountered the performance issue you reported. I ordered a 4K monitor for Mac performance testing in our office today, we'll follow up in this forum thread after we've run some tests with it.
    Chris K Scooter Software

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    5

    Angry I am still waiting... Any progress?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I discussed the issue with our Mac developer. He said he doesn't immediately know what is causing the performance issue. I did check our records and we've had 3 other customers report similar issues when using external 4K or 5K monitors on Macbook Pros and a Mac Pro.

    Our Mac developer uses dual 1600x1200 monitors, that might be why he hasn't encountered the performance issue you reported. I ordered a 4K monitor for Mac performance testing in our office today, we'll follow up in this forum thread after we've run some tests with it.
    I am waiting your reply. Any progress now?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •