X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcw3
    New User
    • Sep 2012

ftp cd possible?

I've set up a profile to connect to to a remote Unix machine, but I need to point to a file that is not in the default directory/mount point. How do I specify a different mount point. I.e. not /u/me, but /foobar?

I've tried several things including specifying the host an ftp url: domain.com/foobar/etc... path.

thanks,
    jim.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

To access a path relative to the root file system rather than the user account's home directory, add an extra forward slash.

foobar in Home Directory (/home/user/foobar) URL: ftp://user@server/foobar
    foobar in root of file system (/foobar) URL: ftp://user@server//foobar

FTP servers can be configured to lock a user in their home directory, so the extra / to access paths relative to the root file system doesn't work on all servers.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• jcw3
      New User
      • Sep 2012

Thanks for this answer. It prompted me to enter the file specification as a url. Up to this point I was under the impression that the only way to do an ftp compare was to set up specific ftp profiles. I could and can not get this to work with an ftp profile.

I never saw anything in the documentation mentioning entering an ftp url. But this works and I'm happy.

thanks,
      jim.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

No problem. For other users, it is in the Help file -> Using Beyond Compare -> Specs -> Remote Services chapter.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...