Symbolic Links not followed - to not display as errors?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • menace97
    Journeyman
    • Sep 2014

Symbolic Links not followed - to not display as errors?

Under the Session Settings - Handling section, I have un-checked "Follow Symbolic Links" as this is ideal for most of my situations (I don't want the data from symlinks compared when copying/mirroring a folder's contents).

However, whenever a folder contains symbolic links, I will receive errors in red within the log panel. Not a big deal, but I don't really see how these should be considered errors, considering that this is an option/setting I have chosen to use. The errors will have the file path in question with "Access is denied" appended to the end of the log entry.

Two things that would be helpful, for me at least:
    1. Is there a way to label symbolic links with a unique identifier, so it can be easily understood in the log, not confused with a file or folder that actually has denied access?
    2. To not classify these as "errors" as I mentioned earlier, they were a choice made within the options. Showing them in the log in a color other than red (or default black) would be helpful - but with no message of errors occurring.

If there currently a way to do this, and I have missed it - I would very much appreciate knowing how I can turn off the "errors" for not following symbolic links.

Thanks for your help!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. We do not currently have a method to exclude or filter on the symbolic links when not followed, but that's something on our wishlist which I think would help in this scenario. This would remove them from the comparison (avoiding the attempted copies), and also allow you to suppress/peek at them as well. Does this feature set sound useful? It's not something we'll be able to implement short-term, but is on our radar as a future enhancement or feature on our customer wishlist.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• menace97
      Journeyman
      • Sep 2014

Sorry for the delay in responding Aaron, but thank you very much for checking into this.

It certainly isn't a priority for me, but I think it would be a nice feature to add as a "someday/maybe" to do. Something like you mentioned to temporarily suppress/peak or a toggle that could be visible on the toolbar would be helpful.

Right now, seeing errors in red is helpful to know if in fact errors are occurring, when I know it is a folder with symbolic links I just glance through the log and if I see "Unable to copy... Access denied" I know that it just is a symbolic link not being copied.

If symbolic links are able to be recognized as symbolic links, separate from others that are "Access denied" that would also be helpful to see in the log - something that details that the error/issue was a symbolic link. If not, it is certainly easy enough to understand that "Access denied" could be a symbolic link situation for me.

Thanks for your assistance!

Comment

• AlbertB
        New User
        • Nov 2019

This is a feature that I very much would appreciate. I have a situation where I would like to ignore hundreds of symbolic links. These all generate errors when trying to copy, and there are so many of them they hide the presence of other errors.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Thanks. This is something still on our wishlist, and I'll add your feedback to our notes on the subject.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ajax-5
            Enthusiast
            • Sep 2012

I found this thread before posting about the same. Having to look at the error log on each sync/compare to be sure there are not other errors except the symlinks is annoying.

The error mainly happens when a sync is done from Windows to a remote SMB share and symlinks are set to Not follow, which is how I want it to be.

So, I upvote for this suggestion with a filter or an "ignore symbolic errors when the option <Not Follow> is enabled"

Thank you

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add your scenario and notes to our entry on the subject as well.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• h2o2
                Enthusiast
                • Nov 2020

Me too.
                Please, add "silent" option for Symbolic Links.

Comment

Working...