Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Characters not being shown in BC

I'm running BC 3.3.13 on Windows. First of all, I should point out that this is not a big deal.

Background. I've written my own plug-in in Reginald Rexx for mainframe files created in a product called Mainframe Express (MFE). MFE creates "mainframe" files on the PC so you can run mainframe JCL and debug Cobol programs. I've been using this plug-in for some years now with great success. The other day, however, I was comparing 2 before-and-after files and was surprised to to see loads of data converted, but then being shown with "missing" hex values (you can see this in the new_vs_old screen capture (SC) at the bottom). The MFE_file_contents SC shows what's actually in the file (albeit, in EBCDIC) and the weirdest (?) thing is that the new_vs_new SC shows the contents of the file as I expected to see on the one side in the new_vs_old SC.

I was suprised enough that I mucked around with it at home and could confirm that my plug-in reads the relevant records and translates them from EBCDIC to ANSI correctly. Any thoughts on what might be happening?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by misi01; 11-Oct-2017 at 05:56 AM.

Sorry - this should have been appended to the BC3 discussion. Please move there instead.

Hello,

Thanks for the info. If you perform the conversion manually, external of BC3, and then open those temp files in BC3, does the issue reproduce?

If this reproduces, can you email the temp.txt files in to support@scootersoftware.com along with a link back to this forum thread. Please also email in your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export.

Update: have you performed any Font customization, like coloring for Unimportant differences?
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-Oct-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Update
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Interesting !!!!!

I ran my conversion program and created an old.txt and a new.txt. Look how the old file is shown as expected, when I only open that file. Now look what happens when I open the new file as well !!! I'll append the txt files as well.

Note also that I ran the program at home with the 2 files directly in BC with no problems (both files shown as expected). From what I could see, the BC versions are the same at work and at home
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think you may have a customized font (such as Unimportant Text = White). Can you email in that BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support; Export to support@scootersoftware.com ? Using the default settings, comparing the files shows the text.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Thanks for your suggestions. I "solved" it myself based on your suggestion, inasmuch as I started by selecting Tools, Options, Compare colors and clicking on Factory reset. Voilà, the "missing" characters were shown. I then changed the color setting for Unimportant differences to Window Text and that way, any unimportant differences don't catch my eye and distract me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Hello,

Instead of customizing the font, use the toolbar toggle to "Ignore Unimportant Differences". This changes any 'blue' text to 'black' and treats it as equal.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Thanks Aaron. I see what you're writing (as opposed to I hear what you're saying ) but without setting it to Windows Text, pressing the Ignore unimportant differences is one extra interaction I theoretically have to remember to perform.

On the other hand, setting it to Windows Text from the very start does what I'm after inasmuch as I don't care about unimportant differences.

Anyway, thanks for the (usual) speedy reply and help.

Just as additional information, the toggle is sticky, so it would remember the last used (enabled) position. That way you can control if the text is considered Different or Equal (otherwise, Show Differences will still show the text, but in this case might be large blank, confusing areas).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Thanks Aaron, I hadn't realized that. In that case, I'll go with your suggestion instead (and basically use the factory settings for the various colours).