Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If anything else is confusing about the display, coloring, or how the comparison criteria works (important vs unimportant and filtering the view), just let us know and we can help. The overall goal is to define Grammar elements to match on specific text sections, that grammar can then be Important or Unimportant. The Display Filters can filter to show Everything, Differences, or Same text, and Unimportant Differences can be considered Differences (Blue) or Equal (Black) depending on the Ignore Unimportant Differences toggle. Important Differences are always Differences.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Thank you again, Aaron. Funny you should append this comment, because there is something I STILL don't understand (I appreciate that for you guys, this is blatently obvious, but based on the forum append below, there is/was at least one other person who was also having problems).

I refer to the following forum append https://www.scootersoftware.com/vbul...hlight=grammar

I also include a screen capture of my files as well as my file formats. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do to get BC to ignore consider columns 1-6 and 73-80 as unimportant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A full screen screenshot of the Text Compare window (showing the red text) might help.

The first thing to look for is in the upper status bar of each pane: this shows the detected File Format name. Is the correct format detected and used?

Next, click into the text (say, around position 3 or 4, so the cursor is blinking and sitting inside the section). The bottom status bar of each pane will show the detected grammar element name the cursor is within. Is this detecting as Col1_6?

Assuming the format is correct and the grammar is matching, you then need to go to the Session menu -> Session Settings, Importance tab, and uncheck the grammar element name. Checked items are Important, and Unchecked are Unimportant. This can apply for just the current view, or at the bottom of the dialog change the dropdown to Also Update Session Defaults to apply to future views/sessions.

That should get the text to be blue/black instead of red.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

A full screen screenshot of the Text Compare window (showing the red text) might help.
    That was the idea behind the screen capture above. The difference was in the right pane, left-hand columns (the text 123456).

Is this detecting as Col1_6?
    No - I'll include a full screen capture of the current comparison

It seems to me that we've been down this road some years ago when I probably had the same problem/misunderstanding.

What I hear you saying is that whether text strings (via grammar rules) are considered important or unimportant is dependent on the session settings. IF that is correct, it doesn't seem intuitive to me.

For me, logically, I define grammar rules based on the type of file (CBL in this example)- I then expect those rules to be applied for ALL CBL files, irrespective of any session settings.

... or am I completely missing the point (ie, I can't see what session settings and file types with their associated grammar rules have to do with each other).

I include the screen capture for my current comparison. Note that, compared to the SC above, THIS time, for some reason, if I unmark theIgnore unimportant differences, the string 123456 is suddenly shown in blue and marked as different as per the second SC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sure thing. Note that in the screenshot, your example text is matching on "Comment" as the grammar element. This is because of the * character after 6 leading characters. The COBOL format includes a Comment element that will match this definition*. If you remove the *, then the text behaves as you expect. If you must keep the *, you can use the Comment definition as Important or Unimportant or delete the Comment grammar element to further customize your format.

As for the toggle behavior, that looks like what I would expect. Comments are Unimportant by default, so if the toggle is Off, then Unimportant is *not* ignored, so it would be a blue unimportant Difference. If you toggle On, then it is set to Ignore it, changing it to black (equal) text.
    Aaron P Scooter Software