Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Error with High Sierra

Seeing the following error starting BCOMP:

$ bcomp
    /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
    /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
    /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
    /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'

Thank you, I've duplicated the error on macOS High Sierra 10.13. I'll add it to our bug list.

Beyond Compare 4.2.3 still appears to launch and run a comparison correctly despite displaying the errors to the terminal.
    Last edited by Chris; 27-Sep-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Hi
    Any update on the fix?
    This error breaks my scripts

Thanks

Hello,

It's still an open issue that we're investigating. Is it possible for your script to workaround the current bug by ignoring lines with "compress" mentioned as part of the error? The error text usually contains "unsupported compressor" or " unknown compression scheme"
    Aaron P Scooter Software

This issue is pretty annoying if you're using Git on the CLI with BC as the difftool. You get 6 lines of errors for every file that has changed. Is there a workaround to suppress the messages?

Sorry, there isn't a workaround that we're aware of. The error should be fixed in the next release of BC, but it doesn't have a set release date.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by eppsilon View Post
    This issue is pretty annoying if you're using Git on the CLI with BC as the difftool. You get 6 lines of errors for every file that has changed. Is there a workaround to suppress the messages?
    You can redirect error messages to the bit bucket by appending "2> /dev/null" to the command line. (Using bash, anyway. Other shells probably have other ways to redirect stderr.)

Code:
    macabre:~$ bcompare a b 2> /dev/null
    macabre:~$ git difftool 2> /dev/null
    It's kind of a blunt instrument; using the redirection with git will discard *all* errors from git, which is less than ideal. It's probably possible to configure git to call bcomp or bcompare with the redirection so only BC4 error messages are discarded, but I'm not familiar enough with git to know how.
    Last edited by Narbat; 15-Nov-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks for sharing the workaround. You might be able to follow the Older versions of Git instructions on our Mac version control page, then redirect output in the call to bcomp or wrap the call to bcomp in a script that redirects output.
    Chris K Scooter Software

+Bump.
    It's been three months - any ETA on this? The primary reason I use BeyondCompare is with git. But I get this error on every file and makes it a bit difficult to sift through the errors to see what's going on.

The bug will be fixed in Beyond Compare 4.2.4. It's currently in internal testing; the release has been delayed a bit due to staff being out for holiday vacations and winter cold and flu season.
    Chris K Scooter Software