X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Musikolo
    Visitor
    • Jun 2018

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of the bcompare package at Arch Linux, and I've noticed the exact same issue as @rku did. I've just pushed my changes AUR repo. I would appreciate if anybody could clarify what I'm missing. There are some comments in the package link above, if you want to know exactly the issues I found.

Thank you!

Comment

• Musikolo
      Visitor
      • Jun 2018

plugin binary doesn't look right

Originally posted by mkotelba
      I finally got some time and just started the work of applying the changes to my fork - good thing I had the sense to take a look at this thread again (notifications were off)

I will take a look at and incorporate @miller's changes as well.

I'd be more than happy to coordinate with you / your developer, especially since changes need to be applied to files that aren't in the BCompare-LinuxMenus Github repository but are contained within the bcompare Debian package, for which you (understandably) aren't making the sources / source Debian package(s) available.

Feel free to contact me via email.
      I'm still trying to see if I get the service menus working in Arch Linux. The bcompare_ext_kde.desktop file seems to be right, as it shows up in the Dolphin services config module:

However, I have found something in the plugin that doesn't look right to me:

Code:
      [musikolo@MyPC ~]$ qtplugininfo /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/bcompare_ext_kde.so
      qtplugininfo: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/bcompare_ext_kde.so: No plug-in meta-data found: Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/bcompare_ext_kde.so'

[musikolo@MyPC ~]$ qtplugininfo /usr/lib/qt/plugins/komparepart.so 
      IID "org.kde.KPluginFactory" Qt 5.11.1 (release)
      User Data: [
      ]
      As you can see above, Beyond Compare plugin doesn't seem to be decoded well by qtplugininfo tool. If I do the same thing with any other plugin such as komparepart, it looks good.

So, are you sure the plugin binary is correct and compatible with Qt5 plugin system?

Any help is more than welcome!

Comment

• benjarobin
        Visitor
        • Sep 2018

The provided plugin is for KDE4 and not for KDE5.
        It's quite easy to check from the .tar.gz install "package" :
        Code:
        ldd bcompare-4.2.6.23150/ext/bcompare_ext_kde.amd64.so
        indicates that the plugin require Qt4 lib instead of libKF5... So it cannot works with KDE5 !

Does anybody had any success ? I did check the github of mkotelba, but it does not contain any modification (The oldest change is 3 years old and it is from ScooterSoftware).

Comment

• benjarobin
          Visitor
          • Sep 2018

I just finished to write the plugin for KDE5, you can test it here :
          - https://github.com/ScooterSoftware/B...uxMenus/pull/3
          - https://github.com/benjarobin/BCompa...tree/menu-kde5

I did not have a lot of time to test it... It may contains bug... The plugin is almost a full rewrite of the KDE4 plugin, I tried to improve it.

Note: It is necessary to enable the "File Manager Integration" from Beyond compare interface: Tools -> Options
          Last edited by benjarobin; 16-Sep-2018, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Benjarobin, thank you for sharing the plugin for KDE5, one of our developers will follow up with you by email.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Musikolo
              Visitor
              • Jun 2018

Hi guys,

I've tried the new version 4.2.7 and I still don't find the way to get KDE5 context menus to work. I decided to use the new KFileItemAction based library. By default, the installer tries to install the library file under /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kfileitemaction/ which looks to me the wrong location, at least in Arch Linux. If I install the library under /usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kfileitemaction/ instead, I at least can see the library is detected by Dolphin, as Beyond Compare service menu is listed under "Dolphin Preference" --> "Services" (same as shown in the screenshot of my previous post). Unfortunately, when a select 1 or 2 files or directories, I don't get anything in the context menu.

Am I doing anything wrong?
              Do you have a screenshot showing what I should get?
              Any clue on how I could fix the issue?

Thank you!

Comment

• Musikolo
                Visitor
                • Jun 2018

It works!!

I just realized I missed this part from Benjamin's previous post:
                Note: It is necessary to enable the "File Manager Integration" from Beyond compare interface: Tools -> Options

Thank you so much!

Comment

• benjarobin
                  Visitor
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Musikolo
                  By default, the installer tries to install the library file under /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kfileitemaction/ which looks to me the wrong location, at least in Arch Linux.
                  If your are using Arch Linux, I strongly encourage you to use the AUR package : https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/bcompare/

The package fix and adjust installation directory for an Arch Linux installation.

Comment

Working...