X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkotelba
    Visitor
    • Jun 2013

Beyond Compare 4 KDE 5 Dolphin Service Menus

After a good bit of fiddling, I've managed to get the KDE service menus in Dolphin (KDE's file manager app) to work on KDE v5.x.

Here are the necessary changes:

BCompare-LinuxMenus Files
    As per https://github.com/ScooterSoftware/B...ree/master/kde, except:
    • *.so files should go into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/
    • *.desktop files should go into /usr/share/kservices5/

bcompare Debian Package Files
    • /usr/bin/bcompare modified to handle KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 (see bcompare.txt attached).
    • /usr/lib/beyondcompare/kde_context_menu modified to handle KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 and properly use KDEBASE=$HOME/.local/share/kservices5 (see kde_context_menu.txt attached).

----

I would humbly ask that these changes make it into the bcompare Debian/Ubuntu package at some point and/or this thread be stickied.
    Attached Files
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

I'll add this code to our tracker entry on the subject. If you submit your changes to the GitHub project, this would also help our developer.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mkotelba
      Visitor
      • Jun 2013

I'll fork the repo, commit, and make a pull request as soon as I have the time.

Hilariously enough, BC has always had better KDE integration than even Kompare, KDE's own comparison app

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Given the trouble of constantly updating and breaking the context menu, I can understand why *anyone* might have trouble keeping it working.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• miller
          Visitor
          • Feb 2018

I had to do two more changes in the kde_context_menu file, but besides that it's working fine. Is this going to be added to one of the future releases?

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

If you can submit to the GitHub, our developer can review it.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• nieroster
              New User
              • Oct 2017

I am still struggling to get it to work on SLED12.
              can you please post your changes here?

Comment

• miller
                Visitor
                • Feb 2018

Aaron, the changes @mkotelba and I made are to the kde_context_menu and to the bcompare scripts that are both not in your github repository.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Are you unable to submit them to the project? I can pass on attachments here, but the intention of the GitHub is to submit there, which both allows people to immediately review and incorporate those changes, including our developer into the main build.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• miller
                    Visitor
                    • Feb 2018

Hey, you want to check in the files first and then I can check in my changes.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Don't worry about it. I'll just pass this information on to our developer.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mkotelba
                        Visitor
                        • Jun 2013

I finally got some time and just started the work of applying the changes to my fork - good thing I had the sense to take a look at this thread again (notifications were off)

I will take a look at and incorporate @miller's changes as well.

I'd be more than happy to coordinate with you / your developer, especially since changes need to be applied to files that aren't in the BCompare-LinuxMenus Github repository but are contained within the bcompare Debian package, for which you (understandably) aren't making the sources / source Debian package(s) available.

Feel free to contact me via email.

Comment

• mlippert255
                          Journeyman
                          • Sep 2005

I'm running BeyondCompare 4.2.4 on Linux Mint 18.3 KDE.
                          I've been missing Dolphin context menu integration for a while, but I only now tracked down this thread.

I made the changes to the 2 files in the original post (basically renamed the original files w/ a .orig suffix and copied in those files)
                          And it is working like a charm.

Thanks

Comment

• Chris
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

KDE 5 context menu support is now included in Beyond Compare 4.2.5.
                            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• rku
                              New User
                              • Oct 2015

Could someone please clarify how plasma5 integration should be working? I looked at native module in github repo and it still links to KDE4 libs, however very same module is copied to qt5 plugins directory. Is that supposed to work?

I copied:
                              * ext/bcompare_ext_kde.amd64.so to /usr/lib/qt/plugins/bcompare_ext_kde.so
                              * ext/bcompare_ext_kde.desktop to /usr/share/kservices5/bcompare_ext_kde.desktop

I enabled service in dolphin settings and dolphin does not show errors about failing to load native library. Despite that no extra menus appear in context menus.

I am testing this on Archlinux using this package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bcompare/ + manual modifications i mentioned.

Comment

Working...