• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerekAB
    Visitor
    • Sep 2017

MAC / BC not releasing NAS (sometimes)

Hello,

I will try and explain this simply... I am using latest MacOS 10.12.6 across my home network to a Synology DS215j running DiskStation 6.1 (actually DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 3).

BC4 is Version 4.2.3 (build 22587).

So using the GUI Interface I have a number of updates / sync sessions that usually update from the Mac to the Synology NAS. Something has happened recently, not sure which update triggered it but this is my typical (manual using the GUI interface) pattern.

I have a fairly large area for our files which has a name that is not Documents or anything like that, lets call it "Possessions" for now, this syncs to the NAS.

It all works well, but there is one new and recent problem, the NAS is set to power down 10 minutes after the last activity, but after using BC4 as I am about to describe, it stays powered up forever... I think I have identified a partial reason, but I don't understand it fully!

So this is what I do, as the "Possessions" area is quite large , I have a number of saved sync sessions ot sync partial areas,

So I start Session 1 with a partial "Possessions" sync (this first sync is where I log in to the "Possessions" mirror on the NAS as it has a different user name and password), then go in BC4 to Session/New Window and fire up another area in "Possessions", perhaps doing this with 3, 4 or even 5 windows open/

All good, the syncs complete, shut the windows one be one and then a cmd Q on the final window to quit BC4.

Now at this point plus 10 minutes the NAS used to shut down, but it doesn't any more... The reason seems to be that the Mac is holding the connection. If I look in /Volumes I find that there are anumber of drives representing the NAS connections, labelled Possessions, Possessions-1, Possessions-2 etc. But these don't clear down when BC exits and this seems to be what keeps the NAS from sleeping.

If I keep a simple "one things at a time" approach then there is only one connection in /Volumes then it clears away and the NAS sleeps?

Any ideas about what I might look at /check next?

Cheers, Derek
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

I'm testing with our Synology, but I'm not seeing the same behavior (it is maintaining a single Volumes\ bind when I load BC4 with a base path smb://synologyname/shared/) even when I access that session with multiple tabs. I asked a developer and when BC4 is fully closed (Beyond Compare menu, Quit, or right click the icon and Quit) the OS should clean up the open Volumes if it had created additional. Is there anything else open that might be maintaining a connection?

This behavior started somewhat recently for you; have you rebooted both your computer and the synology drive since it's begun? Are there any other software updates you've applied around the time it started happening?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• DerekAB
      Visitor
      • Sep 2017

Hi Aaron,

Answer is yes to both regarding reboot. I am trying various tests in between tasks to try and get a more detailed picture of what is going on, yes I take the point it might be something else other than BC4.

Regards Derek

Comment

• DerekAB
        Visitor
        • Sep 2017

Hi Aaron, an update,

It begins to look like this was me not paying full attention to all the surrounding events... I will have to come back with a full answer, but this may take a while...

Main culprit looks like it is the file indexing service on the Synology, its whats stopping the NAS going to sleep, although I have had this enabled for a while it seems something has changed... There are many comments on this in the Synology Forum... And of course this would trigger automatically after any changed fed in via a BC action, but I am surprised that things appear stuck and according to the database its trying to index and area I haven't asked it to!

As always, its probably not a simple one line solution, the entries in /Volumes seem to be left because Spotlight is busying itself trying to update its indexes on the Synology as well as one of the features of the latest file indexing service is to automatically include indexed folders for searching by Spotlight. Dragging shares across to the Spotlight Privacy panel (Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations) has also greatly improved things, on simple tests so far things look better, will update!

Best regards, Derek

Comment

• DerekAB
          Visitor
          • Sep 2017

Hi Aaron,

as promised an update, so the "non releasing of NAS" was definitely down to the index service on the Synology NAS which in turn is linked to their Universal Search package, basic fact is that my Synology is ARM based on hasn't got enough power/RAM to deal with this...

Part 2 of the problem, still remains, in that there is a growing collection in /Volumes of "Possessions-x" entries, which appear to do nothing harmful, but probably shouldn't be there. I am still chasing this, I suspect its that most of my sessions are of the form - left hand side /Users/me/Possessions/folder - right hand side smb://NAS/Possessions/folder, so if I run multiple windows for different sessions all operating in different folder, this might be expected but there is no way to clear the /Volumes area other than a reboot as on the desktop only one NAS connection is shown!

Best regards, Derek

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

The function we're using could create multiple connections, but opening and syncing multiple tabs has not caused this creation during my tests. Closing BC4 should then clear up any we created (using Beyond Compare -> Quit). Perhaps it's a very specific way you are launching the multiple tabs? I've tried loading a tab, starting a partial/selection copy, then open a new tab, open the same session again, and then start another copy of a different selection. I'll repeat this a couple times, but this doesn't create multiple Volume entries. I've also tried multiple sessions pointing to subfolders within the same NAS, and opening each of those in new tabs.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• DerekAB
              Visitor
              • Sep 2017

Hi there,

actually its not a new Tab, but a New Window I use, so Session / New Window, so I end up with say 3 or 4 windows open, each has its own session spec, each basically comparing and syncing different subfolders under the "Permissions" share, is opening a new window different to opening a new tab? For me its seems to be having the same effect, I will try soem more experiments!

Cheers, Derek

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

Window and Tab should behave the same; I quickly tested with Windows but still only see the single bind in Volumes.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...