• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kt@dekk1.no
    Visitor
    • Aug 2017

Regularly move files from FTP to CIFS fileshare

Hi.

I'm a n00b at BC4 scripting, and have used it in a very basic way up to now, so I was hoping one of you guru's could give me a leg up...

I have a store network where the guys scan various documents on an MFP to a folder using CIFS on a NAS - every store has its own folder under a common root. There is a firewall between this network and where our terminalservers and user file shares are. The NAS has an FTP server, I have a server on the inside that can access both it and our file shares.

What I need to achieve is to move the scanned files from the folders on the FTP to a corresponding folderstructure on the fileshare and do this every n minutes (n=5 or something like that). From what (I think) I can see, BC4 can be scripted to do this, but I'm a bit at a loss as to where to start. Which is where I was hoping that someone here was just waiting to rush to my aid... ;-))

I was thinking about using Windows Scheduler to trigger the script, unless someone has a better idea, which I'll be more than happy to look into.

Kind regards
    Kjetil Thorstensen
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Yup, using the Windows Task Scheduler is a common method to kick off a script regularly. Scripting itself is documented in the Help file -> Using Beyond Compare chapter -> Scripting chapter.

Script itself does not preview the sync, and cannot be Undone, so I would suggest testing with test data first while learning scripting. The script itself would be something similar to:
    log verbose "c:\bclogs\bclog.txt"
    load "e:\nasfolder\testfolder" "ftp://user@ipaddress/testfolder"
    sync update:left->right
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• kt@dekk1.no
      Visitor
      • Aug 2017

Thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly, Aaron. It gave me the leg up I needed to get the worst nags off of my back. Now I have the time to look more deeply into automating a few other tasks as well.

BTW: I found another post on this forum where you recommended someone using a standalone installation for use by several users on a shared platform, I suppose that tip goes for me as well, as the scheduler will run the scripts under a dedicated account on the server, not mine? It would enable the sharing of settings, like ftp server profile and so forth?

/Kjetil

Comment

• kt@dekk1.no
        Visitor
        • Aug 2017

Hi.

Thanks again - it was as easy as you made it seem, which was what threw me. A standalone installation, a single CMD file triggered by the Scheduler and one script per store does exactly what I wanted.

/Kjetil

Comment

Working...