X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AllisonD
    New User
    • Aug 2017

PDF compare error for locked PDFs

Is it possible to compare PDFs which are locked for copying or modification? These are financial paperwork from an accountant. This error appears when trying to compare the two PDF files.

Error message
    External program "/applications/Beyond compare.app/Contents/MacOS/pdftotext" not found

Versions
    Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
    Version 4.2.2 (build 22384)
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. Which security properties are preventing the conversion/viewing of the file in the Text Compare? I've tested with the OS level right-click -> Get Info, and locked the file, but the file still converted and text shown in the Text Compare.

The error message text can sometimes throw that "missing" error even if it's just a conversion error. To confirm, other PDF files are able to convert and show on your system, correct?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• AllisonD
      New User
      • Aug 2017

Thanks for the response. I tested with other PDFs now and they can be compared on using Beyond Compare. But the PDFs from my accountant still throw the error.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you open these PDFs in Adobe, are you able to perform a Save As Text action and generate a text file from the save dialog? Or does this throw any errors or is prevented in some way?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...