Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default Change default compare to compare contents

    Hi. This is probably a silly question but I have just upgraded to BC3 and can't figure it out.

    If I go to folder compare for my text files, it seems to always default to the file-version compare, which I basically never want to do since my files are all created at different times and I am only interested in contests. If I double click a file it opens a tab with the version comparison in, but I want it to open up the text contents comparison.

    Also, if I do select all -> compare contents -> binary comparison, my files come back different, but if I then right-click-> quick compare -> text compare, the diff window opens are they are flagged as exact, then if I close that the file is now marked as exact in the folder view.

    Would appreciate any help here, as I don't really trust BC3 at the moment with my important comparisons.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    You can change the default folder compare method as follows:

    Session drop-down menu \ Session Settings \ Comparison tab

    First, check the Compare Contents checkbox and choose the compare method to use:

    Binary comparison: A byte to byte comparison. Any difference, no matter how insignificant, will result in files showing up as different.

    Rules-based comparison: Compares the content of the files based on the grammar rules defined for that specific file type. Differences not defined by the grammar rules are ignored. For example: If two files have the same content, but have been saved with different encodings (ANSI vs Unicode) or different line endings (Windows vs Linux) then a rules-based comparison will show them as being equal.

    Secondly, check the "Override quick test results" setting under the Compare Contents section or disable your quick tests altogether. This will ensure that equality in your folder view is initially set based on the content compare, and not on the quick tests.

    Quote Originally Posted by imightbewrong View Post
    Also, if I do select all -> compare contents -> binary comparison, my files come back different, but if I then right-click-> quick compare -> text compare, the diff window opens are they are flagged as exact
    When you open two files in a text compare, it performs a rules-based comparison and updates the equality column in the folder view with the results.

    Quote Originally Posted by imightbewrong View Post
    then if I close that the file is now marked as exact in the folder view.
    Actually, binary equality (exactly the same) looks different than rules-based equality (no significant differences in content) in the folder view. If files are deemed to be exactly the same in a binary compare, the equal sign with have binary bits (0101) next to it. If equality is determined by a rules-based compare, the equal sign will not have binary bits next to it and does not signify that the files are exactly the same.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hi Michael - thanks for the quick reply, although I doesn't quite do it for me (or I don't get it).

    I have changed the 'comparison' tab to tick 'compare contents'/'binary' and override quick results. If I then do 'select all' then 'compare contents', the files are marked as different, with the a little 0111 next to the not-equals sign. Edit> does the binary comparison look at the timestamp etc, or just the contesnts? I have no rules set up for unimportant text.

    These files are exactly the same (except for the timestamps) and I want them to appear equal in the viewer. Is there another setting I am missing?

    Also, double clicking on the files still brings up the version comparer, not the contents comparison tool (where you can see the actual contests of the files) as it did in BC2. Again, is this just a setting?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by imightbewrong; 13-May-2009 at 07:55 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Okay - I think I get the binary thing now - I should be using rule-based, although I don't exactly understand why.

    I would still like to get double-click to bring up the text contents comparer though.

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imightbewrong View Post
    These files are exactly the same (except for the timestamps)
    Based on your comments, I don't think this is true. Files that are exactly the same will show up that way if you use a binary compare.

    Quote Originally Posted by imightbewrong View Post
    I would still like to get double-click to bring up the text contents comparer though.
    I'd guess that your files have executable extensions (*.386;*.bcp;*.bpl;*.dll;*.drv;*.exe;*.ocx;*.scr;* .sys;*.vxd). Assuming that is true, select Tools -> File Formats and find "Executables" in the list. You can either uncheck it (prevent any files from opening in Version Compare) or change its Mask (change which file extensions are opened in Version Compare).
    Erik Scooter Software

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imightbewrong View Post
    does the binary comparison look at the timestamp etc, or just the contesnts?
    Just the file itself (contents) not the external attributes (timestamp, etc.)

    Quote Originally Posted by imightbewrong View Post
    Also, double clicking on the files still brings up the version comparer, not the contents comparison tool (where you can see the actual contests of the files) as it did in BC2. Again, is this just a setting?
    Version compare should only come up for non-text files (executables, dlls, etc.) If this is not the case, then something is wrong on your system. You can always override the version compare by right-clicking and choosing "Open With -> Hex Compare" from the context menu.

    If you really don't like the version compare pane, click Tools \ File Formats... and remove the checkmark from the Executables format to disable it.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Based on your comments, I don't think this is true. Files that are exactly the same will show up that way if you use a binary compare.
    Okay - perhaps something is different but I don't know enough to know what - not to worry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I'd guess that your files have executable extensions (*.386;*.bcp;*.bpl;*.dll;*.drv;*.exe;*.ocx;*.scr;* .sys;*.vxd). Assuming that is true, select Tools -> File Formats and find "Executables" in the list. You can either uncheck it (prevent any files from opening in Version Compare) or change its Mask (change which file extensions are opened in Version Compare).
    Good guess! It's a .bcp file (a text file for insertion into a database - although I believe there may be other uses for the extension).

    Is this a new thing in BC3? I don't recall making that change in BC2 (although I did set it up ages ago).


    Thanks a lot!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    437

    Default

    The change in BC3 that is affecting you is that the Version Compare is now built-in instead of being a separate download (plug-in). One of the extensions our program uses is .bcp (stands for Beyond Compare plug-in) which makes sense to open with Version Compare. The fix for you is to remove *.bcp from the "Executables" file format.
    Erik Scooter Software

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imightbewrong View Post
    These files are exactly the same (except for the timestamps) and I want them to appear equal in the viewer. Is there another setting I am missing?
    The files are not exactly the same if a binary compare shows them as different. Some things you can try:

    You can open the files in a hex compare to view encoding differences. Unicode files will often have additional BOM characters (byte order mark) at the beginning of the file. Unicode 16 formats will use two hex bytes to represent each character while Unicode 8 formats will use a single byte to represent each character, etc.

    You can switch between Hex Details and Text Details under the View drop-down menu to look at the current line with greater scrutiny...

    You can enable the visible whitespace [ğ] button on the toolbar to see whitespace differences. Trailing spaces, tabs in place of spaces, different line ending characters, can all be viewed when visible whitespace is enabled.

    You can enable the "Compare line endings" option under the Session Settings \ Importance tab if you want line ending differences to automatically be identified as differences in the text compare.
    BC v4.0.7 build 19761
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    The change in BC3 that is affecting you is that the Version Compare is now built-in instead of being a separate download (plug-in). One of the extensions our program uses is .bcp (stands for Beyond Compare plug-in) which makes sense to open with Version Compare. The fix for you is to remove *.bcp from the "Executables" file format.
    Thanks - I've done that and all is well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •