X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob Retter
    New User
    • Jul 2017

Windows registry key for BC executable

Is there a Windows registry key that a program may look up to find the path for invoking BC (ver 3 or 4)? That is, the program builds a command line (or other means?) that contains the BC path as the command and some filename args, to start BC comparing the two files?

Thank you for your time, and any help you can provide.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Under Current_User\Software\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4\ we have a ExePath that points to the install location. How does this work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Current User also has the same unversioned node under Current_User\Software\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare\

Additionally, for Admin installs, you can check Local_Machine\Software\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare (unversioned) or Beyond Compare 4\

If you have multiple installs of Beyond Compare on your machine, the unversioned location is whichever you installed last.
      Best practice would be to check Current User first, and if it doesn't exist to check Local Machine.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Rob Retter
        New User
        • Jul 2017

Thank you for taking the time to help me. Unfortunately, after installing Beyond Compare 3 and then upgrading to Beyond Compare 4 (using, of course, your installer within my account that has Admin perms), none of the keys under Current User exist in the registry. I have attached a registry file (as a .txt) which shows the keys that do exist. There is, however, one:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare\ExePath

which does exist and, as you mentioned, describes the most-recently-installed version. This should suffice for my needs.

Thank you once again.
        Last edited by Aaron; 27-Jul-2017, 02:33 PM. Reason: Deleted registry file

Comment

Working...