• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firosiro
    New User
    • Jul 2017

How to Find Unique Files?

Hello,
    Finding duplicate files is important. However, finding "un-duplicate" or unique files is also important to me. I just don't know how to easily find unique files.
    Here's a scenario: You want to format an old drive but want to make sure there's no files on the old drive that you wish to keep. In my case I assume I have all the "keeper" files somewhere on my working drive(s) but I'm always wondering if I missed that one important file when moving data around. As a result, I have a bunch of old drives that I'm afraid to format "just in case" I missed transferring an important photo or file.
    To add one more layer of difficulty when comparing files; I'm always changing my directory tree structure on my working drive. Therefore, I most likely have all the files from the old drive on my new drive but not in the same directory structure. As an example: A photo of an old girlfriend needs to be relocated from the "girlfriends" folder to the "wife" folder after marriage ;-) Then I password protect the girlfriend folder.... (sorry, delete the last sentence.)
    In conclusion, is there an operation to scan two drives or two folders and then list only the unique files? This way I could just look at the unique files on the drive I intend to format. If any of the unique files are important to me I would move them to my working drive.

I apologize in advance if his is a common feature of BC; I'm just learning the program.

Thanks to all...
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Not really, unfortunately, since you may have different subdirectories with the same file names multiple times. If you have multiple "Photo1.jpg" files on the same side of the comparison, when you flatten folders these are pushed into the same bucket. During the alignment of Left and Right, duplicate names might not align as you expect since we have to align first, then compare content. The same hurdle that prevents this as working well as a duplicate finder also hinders the alignment for "unique" files, since the Orphan comparison status relies on the alignment aligning the "correct" pairs you expect.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...