X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billsmind
    New User
    • Jul 2017

.AppleDouble folders

How does Beyond Compare deal with .AppleDouble folders and their files, that are created on non-Apple formated devices, such as a NAS device???

The problem I am having is that I have been making a copy of my Library folder, which includes a Caches folder. That folder contains the Firefox cache, which nominally is 350 MB. Over time, that folder has grown to 2.2 GB. It is a problem.

Maybe the first statement, you might make is "well, that's stupid. Don't do that with a cache folder." The second might be Sychronize the folders, don't copy.

But, the larger question for me is, if I am Sychronizing folders between the Mac and a NAS device, what happens to the files in the AppleDouble folder when a "regular" file is deleted from the NAS folder?

Are the stale Apple Double files deleted too?

Thanks.

I have loved your product. I have used it on PCs, Macs, and Linux.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Our office testing NAS isn't creating these like I'd expect. Do you know of a specific Folder Property I should enable that should then mandate the creation of the .AppleDouble for folders? I can create _DS_Store and a few other metadata items, but not these specifically.

To handle the other metadata information, you can exclude them with a Name Filter. This way they aren't included when copying or syncing.
    Where does the .AppleDouble naturally occur? Is it the first subfolder within a folder? If so, it would be treated as data inside that folder if the parent is deleted (if already filtered out, you would need to Include hidden items to delete it, too).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• billsmind
      New User
      • Jul 2017

AppleDouble folders and files

Hi,

From what I understand (I could be wrong), the creation of the folder and the files in the folder depends on the transfer protocol that you use. I've been using the Apple File Protocol. I am connecting to a LaCie 2Big NAS (it also has a RAID configuration).

As I understand it, they are created when the "real" files are transferred, and they store metadata about the file from the MacOS.

That is about all I know.

I have done what you have suggested, and basically I have excluded them from my comparisons and transfers.

Thanks for looking into it.

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

Our office testing NAS isn't creating these like I'd expect. Do you know of a specific Folder Property I should enable that should then mandate the creation of the .AppleDouble for folders? I can create _DS_Store and a few other metadata items, but not these specifically.

To handle the other metadata information, you can exclude them with a Name Filter. This way they aren't included when copying or syncing.
      Where does the .AppleDouble naturally occur? Is it the first subfolder within a folder? If so, it would be treated as data inside that folder if the parent is deleted (if already filtered out, you would need to Include hidden items to delete it, too).

Comment

Working...