X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RaceTrak
    Visitor
    • Feb 2004

Shell extension still uses BC3 after upgrading to BC4

Recently upgraded to BC4 pro - all works well except that when I right-click to compare folders, BC3 still comes up to do the job.

What is the best/easiest way to fix this? Uninstall BC3 and reinstall BC4? Hack the registry? Use a context menu editor?

I'm not afraid of any of these options - I just don't want to take the time to do the trial-and-error method trying 5 things if someone else has already figured out one easy way...

(I'm on Win 10 Pro, x64, by the way...)

Thanks,
    - Mike.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Best/quick method is to boot BC3, go to Tools -> Options, Startup and disable the context menu. Repeat for BC4 and enable the same option. Then reboot your computer. Does this get it up and running as expected?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RaceTrak
      Visitor
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

Best/quick method is to boot BC3, go to Tools -> Options, Startup and disable the context menu. Repeat for BC4 and enable the same option. Then reboot your computer. Does this get it up and running as expected?
      Unfortunately, this did not work - I disabled it in BC3, but even though it is enabled in BC4, I don't have the options in the context menu. I might try uninstalling and reinstalling completely...

Thanks anyway,
      - m.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

The restart after changes would be an important step if this has gotten out of sync; Windows only allows changes to the shell extension between reboots (caching them until the restart is performed).

If uninstalling BC3, rebooting, and re-checking/enabling BC4 and restarting once more does not work, let us know. You can email us at [email protected] with your BCSupport.zip (Help menu -> Support; Export) and we can help get you a .reg patch which manually adds the information to your registry. Please include a link back to this forum thread in your email for our reference.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• RaceTrak
          Visitor
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Aaron
          Hello,

The restart after changes would be an important step if this has gotten out of sync; Windows only allows changes to the shell extension between reboots (caching them until the restart is performed).

If uninstalling BC3, rebooting, and re-checking/enabling BC4 and restarting once more does not work, let us know. You can email us at [email protected] with your BCSupport.zip (Help menu -> Support; Export) and we can help get you a .reg patch which manually adds the information to your registry. Please include a link back to this forum thread in your email for our reference.
          Yeah - I rebooted after every step but it still didn't work. (Curiously, though, after I disabled things in BC3 and rebooted, some new shell extensions appeared!???) The last thing I did that failed was to uninstall BC3, reboot, disable in BC4, reboot, enabled it again, reboot...

Finally, I uninstalled BC4, ran a registry cleaner, rebooted, ran the registry cleaner again, rebooted again, and then reinstalled BC4... that did it -- all is right with the world once again!

Thanks for attempting to help - even though the quick and easy repair didn't work for whatever reason, it was fairly painless to unsinstall / reinstall thanks to the tools to export and import all the sessions/settings(I have like 70 or so different sessions.......). So yeah - definitely thanks for that little gem, too!!

- m.

Comment

Working...