How could one show only folderswith same names and differenct content?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donk
    Old Hand
    • May 2016

How could one show only folderswith same names and differenct content?

How could one show only folders identical by their names and having only different files by file names?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

We do not have a filter to only Show Same Folders. Folders inherit the comparison of the files within them, and our Display Filters act on Files.

I would recommend a reverse filter. Set to Show Differences, which shoes all folders with differences. Then Select All and Exclude these folders by name. You can then set to Show All, which should then leave you with only folders that contains equal files.

If you need only folders that contain equal files and Orphans, then the Display Filter would need to be set to Differences with No Orphans. However, this may include folders that are entirely orphan (no equal files).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Donk
      Old Hand
      • May 2016

Hello Aaron!

Thank you very much! Sorry, what I meant was:

How could one show only folders identical by their names and having only different files by file names?

I guess, that is easily to do by just settings this (yes, I should have find it out by myself, sorry):

Is it right?

Ah, no, I am wrong, that filter would also show folders with same files / none orphans) by file name (if at least one orpahn is contained), I assume. I first would have to filter by "Same" and exclude those folders having same files. Then filter by "Show Difference" and exclude. When I then show "All" all folders with onlyy different file names would be shown, is that right?

Many thanks again
      Last edited by Donk; 03-Jul-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The short answer is all of our filtering is on the file level, and I don't think we'll be able to get the view excluding all of the items you need.

You can include or exclude files of a status. The folders above those files are included, but it doesn't matter if the folders have equal or different names; just that files inside match the criteria. Folders have coloring which shows a summary of the file criteria inside. We do have a View mode to include orphan folders (structure view mode), but this doesn't extend to showing only folders of equal names.

Your current strategy won't work since Show Orphans + Structure will show aligned folder pairs that contain orphan items. This would then exclude folders with the same name, but have files that are orphans. I don't think we have a workflow that can show you the specific structure you need, since we don't have a method to exclude only Orphan Folders.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Donk
          Old Hand
          • May 2016

Alright, I understand, so there is no way, I am wondering why such filterings / compares by folders only are not implemented. I would think that must be easily to build.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC4's comparison and folder coloring is based on the files. The folders are buckets the files exist in, but the Display Filters limit the files (not folders). As noted earlier, a Folder can be Purple/Orphan because itself contains orphans and is not aligned to anything, or is aligned to something and has equal files inside but also has Purple/orphans. The enhancement would require more than just filtering on 'purple' folders, since that isn't the behavior you are looking for.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Donk
              Old Hand
              • May 2016

Hello Aaron,

Alright, so it would not be that easily to implement. But it would be a very needful option to compare folders as well, one might thing, but obviously it was not otherwise it would be implemented.

Many thanks

Comment

Working...