• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swobi
    Visitor
    • Jun 2017

macOS High Sierra 10.13 Beta problems

Hi!

I upgraded to macOS High Sierra and since then Beyond Compare 4 is not starting.
    After 1 or 2 seconds the app start is aborted.

system.log shows the following error:

Jun 30 00:25:11 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.ScooterSoftware.BeyondCompare.4136[1149]): Service exited with abnormal code: 100

Could you please investigate this?

thanks
    swobi
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. The 10.13 beta was just released and we're still setting up and investigating issues. In the past, some MacOS betas have had bugs that prevented BC4 from working, but they've been fixed before the main OS release.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• swobi
      Visitor
      • Jun 2017

Hi!

You are absolutely right, the 10.13 beta is quite new ;-)

I tried an older version of BC (4.1.9) which has the same problem.

Found another entry in system.log which could be of use:

Jun 30 18:09:58 MacBook-Pro BCompare[1630]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Changing the target of a source after it has been activated
      Jun 30 18:09:59 MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.ScooterSoftware.BeyondCompare.6236[1630]): Service exited with abnormal code: 100

BTW: Love the tool and the Mac version!

I am on the developer beta so if you like I can keep you informed and could also give you feedback on beta versions of Beyond Compare.

cheers
      swobi

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks. I'll pass along these notes, too.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Yee
          New User
          • Dec 2014

Looks like related to the new APFS:

/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-95/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
          /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-95/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
          /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-95/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
          /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-95/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'

Comment

• bradhs
            New User
            • Jul 2017

Same problem, not related to APFS because I chose not to upgrade the file system. Currently running 10.13 17A291m.

default 10:33:03.787610 -0700 BCompare /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-95/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
            default 10:33:03.787661 -0700 BCompare /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-95/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
            default 10:33:03.789207 -0700 BCompare /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-95/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
            default 10:33:03.789246 -0700 BCompare /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-95/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'

default 10:33:04.069501 -0700 BCompare UNIX error exception: 17
            default 10:33:04.074700 -0700 BCompare UNIX error exception: 17
            default 10:33:04.079389 -0700 BCompare UNIX error exception: 17

default 10:33:04.122362 -0700 BCompare Error loading /System/Library/Video/Plug-Ins/VCPHEVC.bundle/Contents/MacOS/VCPHEVC: dlopen(/System/Library/Video/Plug-Ins/VCPHEVC.bundle/Contents/MacOS/VCPHEVC, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
            /System/Library/Video/Plug-Ins/VCPHEVC.bundle/Contents/MacOS/VCPHEVC: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
            /System/Library/Video/Plug-Ins/VCPHEVC.bundle/Contents/MacOS/VCPHEVC: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
            default 10:33:04.122457 -0700 BCompare FigRegistryItemGetFactory signalled err=-12692 (kFigRegistryCodeLoadFailedErr) () at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-2027.4.3/Sources/Core/FigRegistry/FigRegistry.c:540
            default 10:33:04.122490 -0700 BCompare VTSelectAndCreateVideoEncoderInstanceInternal signalled err=-12908 (kVTCouldNotFindVideoEncoderErr) (NULL factory function) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-2027.4.3/Sources/VideoToolbox/VTVideoEncoderSelection.c:1417
            default 10:33:04.123396 -0700 BCompare <<<< VTVideoEncoderSelection >>>> VTSelectAndCreateVideoEncoderInstanceInternal: no video encoder accepted for 'hvc1'
            default 10:33:04.123427 -0700 BCompare VTSelectAndCreateVideoEncoderInstanceInternal signalled err=-12908 (err) (Video encoder not accepted) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-2027.4.3/Sources/VideoToolbox/VTVideoEncoderSelection.c:1343
            default 10:33:04.123459 -0700 BCompare VTTileCompressionSessionCreate signalled err=-12782 (err) (Could not select and open encoder instance) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreMedia_frameworks/CoreMedia-2027.4.3/Sources/VideoToolbox/VTTile/VTTileCompressionSession.c:718

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

We have a good idea as to the cause, but won't be able to issue a fix for specific 10.13 beta releases. A developer looked into this issue and noted that (in past 10.x betas) the fix is specific to something that is variable for each beta release, so it will likely break with each patch to the beta and require an equal amount of work and research to get it up and running each time. It's also possible that as it gets closer to a release candidate that Apple will fix it on their end and we won't have to work around the break.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• swobi
                Visitor
                • Jun 2017

Hi again!

Thanks for the info; just out of curiosity: What exactly is broken in macOS 10.13 Beta?

Us guys on the beta could send error reports to Apple which (maybe) could lead to a quicker fix from Apple.

all the best
                swobi

Comment

• David
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2009

It is not a matter of the beta being 'broken'.

Due to some current limitations with our software environment, on MacOS, we rely on some fairly low level OS conditions being static and predictable. Occasionally with new releases we have had to change what we expect to happen but it tends to be fairly stable and the changes are small.

During beta testing all bets are off as Apple is busy moving things around, inserting debug code, etc. As they get closer to release they will be backing out the extraneous stuff and we will be able to see what is truly changing (if anything at all).

We include code that turns off the affected functionality (modality handling of some of our dialogs) in BC when we detect that our assumptions are wrong. That code was not catching the specific result that the current Beta is giving. I have checked in code to our software base that catches and disables for the Beta.
                  David J Scooter Software

Comment

• swobi
                    Visitor
                    • Jun 2017

Cool! Will there be a public BC version with your changes (or is there a "beta" program)?

cheers
                    swobi

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

It should be in the next release of BC4.

Update Redacted:
                      If you email us at support with a link back to this forum thread, we may be able to get you a nightly build.
                      Update: Unfortunately, we aren't able to get a nightly release of this fix. We'll work on getting it into a BC4 release.
                      Last edited by Aaron; 11-Jul-2017, 12:58 PM. Reason: No Nightly Available
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• aito
                        New User
                        • Apr 2012

Worked for me on macOS High Sierra 10.13 Beta 4!

Comment

• Chris
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

The macOS High Sierra 10.13 Beta startup crash is fixed in Beyond Compare 4.2.3 that was released today.
                          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• justheretosayonething
                            New User
                            • Sep 2017

Hey there,

I was having the same issue as described with an unrelated application, and my googling got me past here.

I have since fixed the issue for the other application, and I thought I'd stop by and hopefully help someone here; I've registered just for this, so sorry if the formatting is rotten:

1. Open Disk Utility
                            2. Select "File" -> "New Image" -> "Blank Image"
                            3. "Save as" and "Name" set to something that makes sense for you; "Size" is not that important, but since it allocates the amount you set, set it to something like 10% above the reported size of the Application file; Format must be `Mac OS Extended (Journaled)` (DO NOT set "Case Sensitive" as that can lead to other issues), leave Encryption off and let "Partitions" be at "Single - GUID", and set "Image Format" to "read/write" - pic here: http://imgur.com/a/N8Nw1
                            4. Click Save
                            5. Copy or move the Application bundle from `/Applications/` into the newly created Disk Image
                            6. Launch the Application from the new Disk Image

There might be some more adjustments for this specific software, since I don't even have any idea what your software is :-)

Hope that helps, and have a great day!

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Thanks for the workaround. It isn't needed in the most recent release (4.2.3) since we've incorporated a fix in that release, but if other users are running into this issue with the MacOS beta and other applications, this could be useful.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...