• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidJ
    New User
    • Jun 2017

Providing two lists of files to compare

Hello Scooter,

I have two deeply nested directory trees where the leaf files are named the same but the directories leading to them vary by date stamp. I have a full path file listing at the base of each tree. How do I tell BComp to give me a /quickcompare of these two file listings (not the lists themselves but the files in these lists)?

Here is a visual example.

File list 1:
    C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_09\Acceleration.txt
    C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_09\Braking.txt
    C:\Testing\Cars\Ford\Mustang\Trial-2017_06_09\Acceleration.txt
    C:\Testing\Cars\Ford\Mustang\Trial-2017_06_09\Braking.txt

File list 2:
    C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_16\Acceleration.txt
    C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_16\Braking.txt
    C:\Testing\Cars\Ford\Mustang\Trial-2017_06_16\Acceleration.txt
    C:\Testing\Cars\Ford\Mustang\Trial-2017_06_16\Braking.txt

Thanks,
    DavidJ
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The /quickcompare command line only supports pairs of files, which could be done sequentially:
    bcompare.exe /qc "C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_09\Acceleration.txt" "C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_16\Acceleration.txt"

bcompare.exe /qc "C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_09\Braking.txt" "C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_16\Braking.txt"

Alternatively, you can load the graphical interface, using the Folder Compare, and the Pro feature Alignment Overrides, which can create an override to align:
    "Trial-2017_06_09" = "Trial-2017_06_16"
    in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Misc tab: new Alignment Override. This mask would need to be literal, specific to at least one/right side date.
    This is a Pro feature, so if you are already licensed for Standard, you can revert to Trial Pro here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chenko515
      New User
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

The /quickcompare command line only supports pairs of files, which could be done sequentially:
      bcompare.exe /qc "C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_09\Acceleration.txt" "C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_16\Acceleration.txt"

bcompare.exe /qc "C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_09\Braking.txt" "C:\Testing\Cars\Chevrolet\Camaro\Trial-2017_06_16\Braking.txt"

Alternatively, you can load the graphical interface, using the Folder Compare, and the Pro feature Alignment Overrides, which can create an override to align:
      "Trial-2017_06_09" = "Trial-2017_06_16"
      in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Misc tab: new Alignment Override. This mask would need to be literal, specific to at least one/right side date.
      This is a Pro feature, so if you are already licensed for Standard, you can revert to Trial Pro here:
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro
      I've switched to use the the "Trial Pro" license and I'd like to define the "alignment override" using the command line. Could you kindly show me the conf example or show me where I can find an existing one?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Alignment Overrides are not definable on the command line. The closest workaround would be to modify the BCSessions.xml manually with an external script, then launch BC4. I would suggest defining a couple of Alignment Overrides in the graphical interface for a specific saved session and the default global session (from the Home screen, in the saved Sessions list, expand the New folder, select Folder Compare, and Edit Defaults). Then you can search your BCSessions.xml for these edits to see how the node structure changes.

If this is part of an automated task, it might help to create a Portable Install of BC4 using the setup.exe. This will keep all setting .xml files in a single directory install, and any user (graphical or automated) that runs this install will share and use these settings.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...