Copy difficulty Windows 10 64-Bit Version 4.2.2 (build 22384)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidpmays
    Visitor
    • Jun 2017

Copy difficulty Windows 10 64-Bit Version 4.2.2 (build 22384)

This may have happened in the previous version, can't remember. I have three (3) VM's sizes 37.2 GB, 52.2 GB and 44.7 GB which I copy (backup) regularly. I noticed the other day it was getting real slow and when I expanded all of the files I noticed the comparison of files was falling further and further behind. See the attached snapshot. Did Windows 10 change or Beyond Compare? BTW I love BC and have been using it for years, the oldest version I have saved goes back to November 2003 but it seems I was using BC in the mid 80's or so, I don't know. Anyway, you have a great product, thanks for the good work.
    David
    Attached Files
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

There shouldn't have been any changes in either (we have Windows 10 in-office as well), but perhaps a change in configuration? Did you recently enable a background content scan in the Session Settings, Comparison tab?

Is your source or destination over a network? Often changes to a networked machine (or in need of a reboot) are often a cause of sudden performance issues. How does a copy with Windows Explorer compare? (Due to caching, it is recommended to repeat the same Copy test, alternating BC4/Explorer/BC4/Explorer to see how it balances out).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• davidpmays
      Visitor
      • Jun 2017

Hey, Aaron thanks for the reply. My copies go at an expected speed, it's the comparison at the end which slows to a craw. On big jobs I walk away for hours and come back to it and the screen is still trying to update. It's really weird. From the picture you can see the files are copied but the hour glass is there and no file equal flags. Clearly, I have switched some flag which looks like it may be trying to do a binary compare at the end of the copy process. It is most likely me as the culprit yet I don't know how to fix it.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The default settings compare file size and modified timestamp. If you've turned on CRC, Binary, or Rules-based content comparison, it will be significantly slower than the default settings.

To turn off content comparison if you've accidentally turned it on, click the Rules toolbar button (referee icon). In the Comparison tab, uncheck "Compare Contents".
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• davidpmays
          Visitor
          • Jun 2017

There are two boxes "Quick Tests:" & "Requires opening files:"
          Quick Tests has checked: Compare file size, Compare timestamps, Align filenames with different Unicode normalization forms
          Requires opening files: has checked: Override quick test results

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Those are the defaults, and that wouldn't perform a Binary, CRC, or Rules-based comparison unless that was selected in this dialog. You can also note in the main interface: we add an icon in the center column of the comparison status if one is performed. As the compare finishes per file pair, a lack of icon would help indicate that a CRC/Binary/Rules-based scan was not completed.

Could we get a look at the file paths? If you can't post publicly, you can email us at [email protected] with a link back to this forum thread for our reference.

One other quick test: create a Portable Install using a freshly downloaded setup.exe from our Download page to your Desktop\. This would be a fresh, factory defaults install to help troubleshoot if there are any settings you may have changed (without altering your main install yet).
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...