Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Got similar sounding issue ... fresh install of 64 bit 4.2.3 and no content menu :-(

Checked with ShellExView, CirrusShellEx is there, and enabled.

I'll email support ... can I also please get a copy of the reg file
    Cheers,
    SteveC

Received your email and replied with the reg patch. Let us know if that helped get it up and working.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

I had the same problem - missing context menus in Win10 Pro x64 - with the latest installation (BCompare-4.2.4.22795).

The solution proposed by flintning worked for me, too:
    After modifying HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57FA2D12-D22D-490A-805A-5CB48E84F12A}\InProcServer32 from BCShellEx.dll to BCShellEx64.dll, everything seems OK.

I suppose that's all the reg file mentioned would do, too?

Aaron: Since the issue (and its solution) seems to be well known for quite a while already, it is high time you passed this message on to the developer!

The reg file is a full removal of all entries manually, and re-adds them, so it's designed to fix any issues that might crop up, not just that one.

We have a tracker entry to investigate this, but haven't yet figured out the root cause of how it could end up with the 32bit shell extension entry instead of the 64bit one.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

I need to add one more point to the discussion, I had the missing context menus happen to me recently on Windows 10 (I can't remember if it was after a Beyond Compare update or a Windows Update)... I looked at the registry as was suggested by another post. The problem with mine was that I installed Beyond Compare on my D: drive, not the C: drive... the entry had the proper filename but the incorrect drive letter.

It sounds like the registry file you are distributing is only configured for the default install paths? I also found the option within Beyond Compare after I'd fixed my registry already, so I don't know how well it works, but I hope that functionality will query the system for the correct install path and modify the registry correctly.

For those that still require the registry file for their fix, please notify them that they will need to edit it to match their install path if they haven't installed to the default directory.

All that said, I need to express how much I love Beyond Compare. I rarely (and I mean RARELY) experience any hiccups with it and use it 5-7 days/week. Thank you for this awesome utility!!!

Oh, true. The remove will be universal, but the Add patch does need manual editing if to include install path information. Sorry for missing that point when distributing the file. It's not an elegant workaround, which is why we don't have a public posting; it's something that can require a bit of support or back and forth, which is why we have customers contact us about the issue.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Oh, true. The remove will be universal, but the Add patch does need manual editing if to include install path information. Sorry for missing that point when distributing the file. It's not an elegant workaround, which is why we don't have a public posting; it's something that can require a bit of support or back and forth, which is why we have customers contact us about the issue.
    Do you know if the option within Beyond Compare to enable the integration will detect the install path and put it properly in the registry for the user? If so, can the user simply disable it within Beyond Compare, then re-enable it to fix the problem without obtaining the registry file and being required to manually edit and import?

Thanks for your help!

Hello,

A regular install would work out of the box, and the checkbox in the Options dialog let's you toggle the extension on and off, and it works. These .reg patches are only needed when something in the registry breaks, and for some extreme reason, the setup.exe's uninstall and install isn't able to clean up the registry (which, it can in normal instances).

The Uninstall/Install is attempting to do these steps, but for some reason it fails for a subset of users that then only works by manually patching their registry with a .reg.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Good to know. I'll remember that if it happens again in the future.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by flintning View Post
    I've found the reason of this problem. Checking with RegDllView.exe, you'll find the the register shellext is BCShellEx.dll, not BCShellEx64.dll. After modifying the registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57FA2D12-D22D-490A-805A-5CB48E84F12A}\InProcServer32 to BCShellEx64.dll, everything is ok.
    Solved my problem. Seems a simplI loe issue, couldn't it be fixed by the installer? I can even picture myself going into this again in a few months when my hdd crashes again or I need to clean install windows for some other reason.