• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palortoff
    Visitor
    • Aug 2016

Clipboard history captures sensitive data

Hi,

I just upgraded to 4.2 on Windows and I really like the Clipboard compare feature with the clipboard history.

However, there is one problem with the history. It stores sensitive data like passwords copied from password managers. I would really appreciate if you could skip storing copied data that is added to the clipboard with the CF_CLIPBOARD_VIEWER_IGNORE format. This is the way other clipboard history managers like ClipMate and AceText do it. The format is sent by password managers like keepass.

http://www.clipboardextender.com/dev...ipboard-format

Thanks,
    Lars
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks! We'll look into this flag and try to get this in the next release.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• palortoff
      Visitor
      • Aug 2016

That would be great!
      Thanks!

Comment

• sunk818
        Visitor
        • Oct 2014

On the subject of capturing sensitive data... I'd like to exclude my passwords or other sensitive text. Is there a way to perhaps blacklist certain strings? I don't know how you'd store this blacklist and whether that blacklist itself would be secured/encrypted so even ScooterSoftware wouldn't know, but it was a thought so you don't have to necessarily depend on password managers.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

We've implemented the above FLAG recommendations, and will investigate other strategies as well. In the meantime, you'll need to disable the clipboard manager if the above flag alone is not sufficient to avoiding password capture.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare 4.2.3 added a minimum clip length setting to avoid saving passwords and other short text. The default minimum is 32 characters.
            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...