X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rothkj1022
    Fanatic
    • Apr 2008

4.2: Folder Isn't Loaded

In 4.2, when comparing my local folder to an FTP host, I can no longer get an entire directly listing. The log shows "Folder isn't loaded". Reloading/refreshing does not help the issue.

Note that my local folder is on an external USB drive. Not sure if that is a factor here or not.

Unfortunately this issue makes the application unusable for me. I will have to revert back to the previous version for now.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Please enable debug logging and email a copy of the log (which you can save with the save icon) to [email protected] with a link back to this forum thread for our reference.

To enable debug logging, go to Preferences, Tweaks tab, the Log panel section and enable FTP debug logging to add extra text to the main log pane. Then accept and start a new Folder Compare and connect to your server to generate a log with the new options included.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rothkj1022
      Fanatic
      • Apr 2008

I have emailed my trace log.

Comment

• rothkj1022
        Fanatic
        • Apr 2008

Along the same lines, I also frequently get the error "Unable to load /Volumes/USB_1GB/... : Too many open files".

Also, when this happens, BeyondCompare becomes unresponsive and I end up having to force close the app.

Comment

• rothkj1022
          Fanatic
          • Apr 2008

Too many open files

Here is a screenshot of another similar error I'm getting. This example shows two ftp sites being compared.
          Attached Files

Comment

• mattchatterley
            New User
            • May 2017

Originally posted by rothkj1022
            In 4.2, when comparing my local folder to an FTP host, I can no longer get an entire directly listing. The log shows "Folder isn't loaded". Reloading/refreshing does not help the issue.

Note that my local folder is on an external USB drive. Not sure if that is a factor here or not.

Unfortunately this issue makes the application unusable for me. I will have to revert back to the previous version for now.
            I've just upgraded and have exactly the same problem - this makes B/C (which has been a bit wobbly on Mac for a while) completey unusable for me as well. Is there any timescale on a fix, please, Scooter?

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you launch a sufficiently large Folder Compare, then run from the Terminal:
              clear && lsof -c BCompare

Repeat this terminal command several times. There should be some static items at the top of the list, and at the bottom several items popping on and off the log as BC4 uses them and then frees them. If the log is growing, that's a problem. Could you email us a copy of the log if its growing as it grows to [email protected] along with a link back to this forum thread.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Beyond Compare 4.2.1 is now available on our download page, it contains a fix for the macOS/Linux FTP/FTPS issue that was introduced in 4.2.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• rothkj1022
                  Fanatic
                  • Apr 2008

Thank you for the fix. Unfortunately this has really shaken my confidence in your product and will be holding my breath the next time I see an update is available.

Comment

• mattchatterley
                    New User
                    • May 2017

Originally posted by Aaron
                    Hello,

Could you launch a sufficiently large Folder Compare, then run from the Terminal:
                    clear && lsof -c BCompare

Repeat this terminal command several times. There should be some static items at the top of the list, and at the bottom several items popping on and off the log as BC4 uses them and then frees them. If the log is growing, that's a problem. Could you email us a copy of the log if its growing as it grows to [email protected] along with a link back to this forum thread.
                    Apologies Aaron, I didn't have a chance to send this over before the fix popped up - happy days as this has resolved the problems. Must admit I will be backing up before installing updates in future as this caused no end of problems

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. The changes we introduced between 4.2's beta and 4.2.0's main release appeared small, but contained this issue. Next time we'll more thoroughly evaluate if we should have another round of beta testing before signing off as a main candidate release.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• wvanloon
                        New User
                        • Sep 2017

I've had the same error, then I noticed that one of the errors before the "Folder isn't loaded" error was a timeout. That reminded me that I had lowered the Read timeout setting of the profile, under the "Connection" tab, to 5 seconds.

When opening a huge folder on FTP, it just seemed to stop communicating with the FTP server. Trying to load any folder after that would just give the error and never load.

Setting the read timeout back to 30 seconds solved the issue for me. It may for you, too.

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for that tip. The default value should be 40 seconds (with the Factory Defaults button on the Profile screen). Also, please be sure you are using the latest BC4 (currently 4.2.3) for the above fixes.
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...