X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • troydeck
    New User
    • Apr 2017

What is the best way to update a folder path used in multiple sessions

I have dozens of saved sessions. Every once in a while a path is changed affecting multiple sessions and I have to update dozens of sessions one-by-one. In earlier versions of BC, I was able to export the sessions as XML, do a quick replace, and re-import the updated sessions. Current versions export in some kind of binary format that can not be compared.

Say you have a path used in multiple sessions, \\path\files, that gets changed to \\path1\files. Is there a way to update this across multiple sessions quickly?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

We don't have a method to multi-edit sessions in the main interface, but you can manually edit the BCSessions.xml which stores all of this information. Before editing, I recommend backing up a copy of the BCSessions.xml file, and also a quick export of all settings using the Tools menu -> Export dialog in application. You can then open and edit the BCSessions.xml and Find/Replace paths, etc.

BCSessions.xml would be in either your %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4\directory, or in the install directory if a portable install mode. On Windows, you can directly navigate using BC4's Help menu -> Support dialog; blue link to Explore Settings folder.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zoë
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

To expand on what Aaron wrote: The .bcpkg files are just renamed zip files containing the XMLs. Modifying BCSessions.xml in your %AppData% directory would be easier in this instance, but if you ever need to access the contents of an export, you can just rename it back to .zip.
      Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...