Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Synchronizing same folders where one side was renamed.

Hi. -Obligatory apology for potential repost...- I've looked and I cannot find this topic, covered already.

I have two backup drives where I keep backup copies of all of my photos. I use BC regularly to sync new changes to these drives and it works very well. I love it!

My problem is that I had the bright idea to go through my source photos (3rd drive) and rename some of the folders containing significant events.

Comparison now looks like this:

So, while both sides are still the same, excepting the folder names, BC doesn't think so. Is there a simple way to give it hints or have it do the renaming on the right side to match the left? If not, does anybody else know of a tool that will?

I understand that I could just tell BC to synchronize it but it wants to delete the existing files (already on the right side) and then copy them back with the modified folders. This is way more I/O than I want to put the drives through and I have around 74k (363 GB) files so the sync would take FOREVER! And that's per drive. Remember, I have 2 backups.

I would sincerely appreciate any help with this. Thanks a ton!
    -Dan

Hello,

You could use our BC3 Pro feature, Alignment Overrides, in the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Misc tab. Create a new alignment. Since direction is important, please be sure your longer (titled) names are on the left, then define this Regular Expression:
    Left:
    (\d\d\d\d\.\d\d\.\d\d).*
    Right:
    $1

x Regular Expression enabled

If you are currently running Std edition, you can follow this KB article to test this feature:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Thanks, Aaron! I've upgraded to a Pro license and my compare now looks like this:

The problem is that now when I try to sync the right side, either using "Update Right" or "Mirror to Right" both options result in "Nothing to do!" prompt.

Is there a way to get it to rename the folders on the right for me?

Unrelated question: Is there a way to make BC run as admin when using context menu options?

Hello,

Sorry, the Alignment Override is designed to mark the folder/file names as an equal pair, and the Sync command is not designed to copy just the file name from one side to the other. The goal of the Alignment Override is to align items to determine if they really are equal or if there is a difference and sync items within the folders. This would allow to keep your directories up to date, but does not rename the folders in the destination; that would have to be done manually (or by syncing the entire folder). It also lets you verify if a folder could be deleted and replaced without issue: in the above screenshot 2011.04.23 appears to have orphan (unique) data on the right side that you may want to verify if you were going to delete the entire folder and replace it with the left folder.

Adding the ability to then 'touch' the file/folder names and copy them from one side to the other is on our Customer Wishlist, but is not a currently supported feature.

For the second question, yes: if you go to the Program Files\Beyond Compare 3\ folder, right click and select Properties on Bcompare.exe. Go to the Compatibility tab and mark to Run as Administrator. You should now see UAC prompts whenever you run BC3 (from the context menu or otherwise).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Disappointed... I'm still going to have to do this manually. Perhaps I'll try to write a Perl script or something. Thanks for the help, I guess...

Although BC3 can't help you (yet), this feature is available in FreeFileSync since v5 (currently v5.2). I use both these programs regularly, BC3 for detailed comparison and for interactive syncing, and FFS for automatic syncing. They each bring different strengths to the task, and they compliment each other well.
    FreeFileSync since v5 can recognise moved/renamed files and instead of deleting old and copying new will just move/rename the target - much faster. You do have to have previously sync'ed the location so it has a db of original files to see what has moved, so won't help you this time, but very handy for any future renaming you do.
    FFS is available at http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/.

Edit: Having come to BC3 from WinMerge for its powerful file comparison capabilities, I hadn't explored (or even realised) there was a separate sync function to the folder compare. I will have to investigate a bit further, but I suspect as soon as BC3 incorporates move and rename I will be using BC3 only. Will just have to convince a few others to cough up the money to buy it too (I currently build the FFS batch sync's for a group of us).
    Last edited by Dougal; 16-Apr-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Uninformed position when posting :)

Thanks, Dougal! I'll take a look at FFS. I appreciate the recommendation. I've finished manually syncing them now but I'm sure I'll rename more folders down the line so something that can accomplish this will be nice.

I also used to use WinMerge. Still do, at work, as I only have a personal license for BC3. BC3 was so much better, I coughed up the dough for it, but good to know about alternatives. Especially free ones. Thanks, again!

If your work allows it, a BC3 personal license does allow you to install BC3 on multiple computers (as long as you are the only user of the software).

http://www.scootersoftware.com/shop.php?zz=kb_license
    License Key: Per-User License Key section.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

BC is fenomenal tool for comparison. I use it also for sync. It is very painful to know that it can't detect renamed folder. E.g. i have 1.5 TB of pictures on original drive synced witj my external backup drive. I rename a folder on original drive and BC wants to delete all of 1.5 TB on my backup drive and copy again 1.5 TB to external drive, instead of simple and fast rename.
    It's a shame, so I decided to help BC to become better, and just because of that I registered to this forum.

"Folder renamed" and "Folder moved" detection algorithm:
    - Folder with that name exists just on one side
    - On the other side there is a folder with different name, but with all files and subfolders exactly the same
    - automatically detect a rename, but give a user the per-folder choice to configure is it really a rename or not
    - first execute renames, and after all renames are done, proceed with usual compare and sync algorithm

Thanks for the suggestion. This is actually a fairly large project to properly implement, and it is something on our Customer Wishlist to detect and handle. We won't be able to get to it soon, but it is something we are aware of. Thanks for the feedback.
    Aaron P Scooter Software