BC in the new Enterprise VS2017 (and Team Foundation Server Source Control)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NW7US
    Visitor
    • Mar 2017

BC in the new Enterprise VS2017 (and Team Foundation Server Source Control)

How deeply integrated is the current BC embedded in the new VS 2017? Do I have to re-install BC?

Thanks,

Tomas
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can define BC4 as a difftool and/or mergetool (Pro edition) in Visual Studio following this guide:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_vcs#tfs

This does not require re-installing BC4.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• NW7US
      Visitor
      • Mar 2017

Awesome! I had forgotten about that page with the configuration steps and details.

Cheers,

Tomas

Comment

• JDSX
        Visitor
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Aaron
        Hello,

You can define BC4 as a difftool and/or mergetool (Pro edition) in Visual Studio following this guide:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_vcs#tfs

This does not require re-installing BC4.
        I have it set exactly as instructed. When doing a merge, it brings up BC4 but only as a 2-sided temp file to temp file view rather than the merge view.

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Do you have a Standard or Pro license of Beyond Compare? The Standard version doesn't support 3-way merge, so it will open a 2-way Text Compare if you try to launch a merge.

Open Help > About Beyond Compare to display your license information.
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• JDSX
            Visitor
            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Chris
            Do you have a Standard or Pro license of Beyond Compare? The Standard version doesn't support 3-way merge, so it will open a 2-way Text Compare if you try to launch a merge.

Open Help > About Beyond Compare to display your license information.
            Pro. The 3-way merge does work for TFVC.

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Can you email us a screenshot of the VS configuration and the pop-up to [email protected]? Please also include a link to this forum thread for our reference.

We've seen a variety of issues with VS2017 having trouble with external diff tools. They've been patching and fixing them, mostly. Are you running with all of the latest updates?
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• JDSX
                Visitor
                • Jun 2017

Can you email us a screenshot of the VS configuration and the pop-up to [email protected]? Please also include a link to this forum thread for our reference.

We've seen a variety of issues with VS2017 having trouble with external diff tools. They've been patching and fixing them, mostly. Are you running with all of the latest updates?
                I sent the screenshots. My VS2017 is always updated to the latest patch.

Comment

• JDSX
                  Visitor
                  • Jun 2017

I just realized this is totally my fault. I've been hitting compare files rather than merge. I was avoiding the actual merge button because I was afraid it would auto-merge.

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

No problem. I'm glad it was an easy fix.

In case other users find this thread later and need automerge: for BC4, one of our command lines is /automerge, which can be added if automerging is needed (assuming no conflicts) but otherwise we'll show the graphical interface. /force is additionally used to push through conflicts w/o any interface (please test it first with sample files to verify this option's behavior).
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• blue_sky
                      Visitor
                      • Oct 2017

Hi,

I'm using BC4 Pro v4.2.3 with VS 2017 Team Explorer, and I'm having problems checking in files from the Folder Compare window.

I get three separate prompts:

Prompt 1:
                      Could not load file or assimbly
                      'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.ControlAd apter, Version=11.0.0.0,
                      Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies.
                      Invalid pointer (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004003 (E_POINTER)).

Prompt 2:
                      Value cannot be null.
                      Parameter nameath1

Prompt 3:
                      Non-specific error

Could you give me some ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks.
                      Last edited by blue_sky; 31-Oct-2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is this error encountered using the Source Control -> Check in menu in BC4's right click menu? And you've installed the MSSCCI add-on from Microsoft? Which MSSCCI have you installed, and 32bit or 64bit?

Are you running BC4 as 32bit or 64bit (Help menu -> About)? One test might be to back up your current settings (Tools menu -> Export), then uninstall and reinstall as BC4 32bit and the 32bit MSSCCI plug-in? BCsetup.exe /32 would force a 32bit install.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• blue_sky
                          Visitor
                          • Oct 2017

Hi Aaron,

Here's what happened. We upgraded from VS2012 to VS Team Explorer 2017. When I was doing so, I may have accidentally uninstalled the MSSCCI. I tried to reinstall the latest version of MSSCCI (2013/2015) but it refused to install, saying I needed VS Team Explorer 2013. There appears to be no version of MSSCCI for 2017, and VS Team Explorer doesn't seem to be available unless I go through MSDN, which I have asked my IT guys about.

Do you have any workaround for this?

Thanks,

Mark

Hello,

Is this error encountered using the Source Control -> Check in menu in BC4's right click menu? And you've installed the MSSCCI add-on from Microsoft? Which MSSCCI have you installed, and 32bit or 64bit?

Are you running BC4 as 32bit or 64bit (Help menu -> About)? One test might be to back up your current settings (Tools menu -> Export), then uninstall and reinstall as BC4 32bit and the 32bit MSSCCI plug-in? BCsetup.exe /32 would force a 32bit install.

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Hello,

I've been looking into this and finding the same limitations as you. I found a blog post that asks users to install Team Explorer 2013/VS 2013 and the older MSSCCI in order to connect:
                            https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tfs...ider-for-2013/

I tested with my own test environment and TFS check-in, on a system that had both Visual Studio 2017 and 2013 installed simultaneously. I would also suggest contacting Microsoft about this feature if you'd like to see them continue 2017 MSSCCI support.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• blue_sky
                              Visitor
                              • Oct 2017

Thank you, Aaron.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Mark

Hello,

I've been looking into this and finding the same limitations as you. I found a blog post that asks users to install Team Explorer 2013/VS 2013 and the older MSSCCI in order to connect:
                              https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/tfs...ider-for-2013/

I tested with my own test environment and TFS check-in, on a system that had both Visual Studio 2017 and 2013 installed simultaneously. I would also suggest contacting Microsoft about this feature if you'd like to see them continue 2017 MSSCCI support.

Comment

Working...