Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question BC in the new Enterprise VS2017 (and Team Foundation Server Source Control)

How deeply integrated is the current BC embedded in the new VS 2017? Do I have to re-install BC?

Thanks,

Tomas

Hello,

You can define BC4 as a difftool and/or mergetool (Pro edition) in Visual Studio following this guide:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_vcs#tfs

This does not require re-installing BC4.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Awesome! I had forgotten about that page with the configuration steps and details.

Cheers,

Tomas

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

You can define BC4 as a difftool and/or mergetool (Pro edition) in Visual Studio following this guide:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_vcs#tfs

This does not require re-installing BC4.
    I have it set exactly as instructed. When doing a merge, it brings up BC4 but only as a 2-sided temp file to temp file view rather than the merge view.

Do you have a Standard or Pro license of Beyond Compare? The Standard version doesn't support 3-way merge, so it will open a 2-way Text Compare if you try to launch a merge.

Open Help > About Beyond Compare to display your license information.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Do you have a Standard or Pro license of Beyond Compare? The Standard version doesn't support 3-way merge, so it will open a 2-way Text Compare if you try to launch a merge.

Open Help > About Beyond Compare to display your license information.
    Pro. The 3-way merge does work for TFVC.

Can you email us a screenshot of the VS configuration and the pop-up to support@scootersoftware.com? Please also include a link to this forum thread for our reference.

We've seen a variety of issues with VS2017 having trouble with external diff tools. They've been patching and fixing them, mostly. Are you running with all of the latest updates?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Can you email us a screenshot of the VS configuration and the pop-up to support@scootersoftware.com? Please also include a link to this forum thread for our reference.

We've seen a variety of issues with VS2017 having trouble with external diff tools. They've been patching and fixing them, mostly. Are you running with all of the latest updates?
    I sent the screenshots. My VS2017 is always updated to the latest patch.

I just realized this is totally my fault. I've been hitting compare files rather than merge. I was avoiding the actual merge button because I was afraid it would auto-merge.

Hello,

No problem. I'm glad it was an easy fix.

In case other users find this thread later and need automerge: for BC4, one of our command lines is /automerge, which can be added if automerging is needed (assuming no conflicts) but otherwise we'll show the graphical interface. /force is additionally used to push through conflicts w/o any interface (please test it first with sample files to verify this option's behavior).
    Aaron P Scooter Software