Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The original report was for BC 4.1.9. Version 4.2.3 included the fix "Linux: Fixed excessive CPU usage when launching a second comparison from the command line", so it should be better in the current version.

Are you launching diffs from Git?

I just tested a shell script to launch multiple comparisons, after I closed each comparison it took about 3 seconds to launch each additional comparison. Test system was Ubuntu 14.04, Unity desktop, with current updates installed.

Test shell script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    bcompare 1.pas 2.pas 3.pas out.pas
    bcompare 1a.pas 2a.pas 3a.pas outa.pas
    bcompare 1b.pas 2b.pas 3b.pas outb.pas
    bcompare 1c.pas 2c.pas 3c.pas outc.pas
    Do you see the same 10 second delay if you launch sequential comparisons from a shell script instead of Git?
    Chris K Scooter Software

My usual work flow is to launch Beyond Compare via "git difftool". But, I'm seeing problems when directly invoking bcompare on local disk files. BC4 launches immediately and shows the diff. I immediately close BC4, and it then sits there for upwards of 10 seconds before the prompt returns. So, it seems like exiting BC4 is slow, which matches what I'm seeing when using git difftool.

~/bin$ time bcompare ragb ragu

real 0m11.066s
    user 0m1.108s
    sys 0m0.104s
    ~/bin$ cat ragb
    repo forall -c 'echo "Repo ${REPO_PATH}:" ; git branch'
    ~/bin$ cat ragu
    repo forall -c 'echo "Repo ${REPO_PATH}:" ; git $1'

It looks like Cinnamon desktop isn't in the official universe repository for Ubuntu 14.04. So I can try to duplicate your environment on my test system, what repository did you use to add Cinnamon desktop?
    Chris K Scooter Software

Another customer reported this issue and their internal IT department diagnosed it. The performance issue is specific to Linux systems with a very large number of network printers. A fix will be in Beyond Compare 4.2.4; we'll update this forum thread when the fix is available.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Beyond Compare 4.2.4 is now available, it fixes the slow exit issue on Linux reported in this thread.
    Chris K Scooter Software