X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sjetesjete
    Visitor
    • Jan 2017

Keys within Pageant not used while opening a SFTP connection

As a user of BC4 PRO 64-Bit (Version 4.1.9 (build 21719)) I'd like to connect via SFTP using the SSH keys which are already in use within Pageant. Sadly, I am asked for a passphrase when connecting to a remote site. so pageant doesn't seem to be used.

Could you please look into this? Do you need further information?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

A password or passphrase?

The passphrase is part of the Key and is prompted if a key is detected and requires the passphrase. This would indicate that Pageant is working or that you have defined to use a key in the Tools menu -> Profile dialog: select specific Profile.

The passphrase is part of the key spec and is created during the key generation as a security measure to require user interaction. If you do not want to use a passphrase, you would generate a key without one (while understanding the risks of doing so).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• sjetesjete
      Visitor
      • Jan 2017

Thanks for your answer.
      While starting up pageant I am entering the passphrase for the ssh-key, so it will be added to the pageant "basket".
      Now I am wondering why I am *not* asked for a passphrase if I use the same key for connecting with putty and pageant. Is there something to be configured left?

Comment

• skaforey
        Journeyman
        • Apr 2008

I have the same exact question.

Connecting using pageant with Putty and other programs work fine. When I chose sftp under the profile, and try to connect, it keeps prompting me for the password. Hitting enter seems to work fine, as well as entering jibberish (and it still accepts it), but I'm wondering why the prompt is there to begin with. I don't remember it being like this in version 3
        Last edited by skaforey; 17-Feb-2017, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Pageant will remember the key and passphrase while it is loaded. Exiting will then remove/forget the key and passphrase. Some applications can choose to store the key this way. BC4, itself, will also remember the passphrase in the current instance of BC4 (if you close the tab, and then open a new session and load the profile, it won't re-prompt for the passphrase). But this isn't saved after you close the program. Does this explain the behavior you are seeing?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Is it BC4 that is generating the prompt, and is it asking for Password or Passphrase? In the Tools menu -> Profiles dialog, in your specific saved profile, is Saved Password disabled? Is your Private Key defined here, in Pageant, or in both locations (you would only need one)?

Which version of BC4 are you running (Help menu -> About dialog)? The above instructions are for the latest BC 4.1.9, where 4.x updates are free for 4.x users.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• skaforey
              Journeyman
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
              Is it BC4 that is generating the prompt, and is it asking for Password or Passphrase? In the Tools menu -> Profiles dialog, in your specific saved profile, is Saved Password disabled? Is your Private Key defined here, in Pageant, or in both locations (you would only need one)?

Which version of BC4 are you running (Help menu -> About dialog)? The above instructions are for the latest BC 4.1.9, where 4.x updates are free for 4.x users.
              I am using BC4 Pro 4.1.9

I have tried both save password (blank and filled in), and having it unchecked. No matter what I choose, when I first start BC4, the first time I try to logon to the server it prompts for the password. The title window says "Keyboard Authentication" and the prompt asks for "skaforey's password"

My private key is defined in pageant. When I tried using the ppk file from putty in BC4, it prompted for the passphrase that is associated with the key.

Like I mentioned before, logging in with Putty does not prompt for a password. I also use Edit Plus 4, which never prompts me for a password either.

See my attachment for the setings I'm using
              Attached Files

Comment

• skaforey
                Journeyman
                • Apr 2008

Bump...any update?

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Sorry, no updates yet. We'll post an update to this thread when we have a chance to dig into it again.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• skaforey
                    Journeyman
                    • Apr 2008

I hate to pester but I really wish that this could be looked into. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard to fix prompting for a password when pageant is taking care of passwords.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Thanks for the re-ping. I've got this configured and failing in a similar way. We'll open a bug tracker to investigate.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• skaforey
                        Journeyman
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
                        Thanks for the re-ping. I've got this configured and failing in a similar way. We'll open a bug tracker to investigate.
                        Thank you!!!

Comment

• sjetesjete
                          Visitor
                          • Jan 2017

Could you please tell us when investigation results will be available approximately?

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Hello,

This is still an open issue that we're looking into.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• skaforey
                              Journeyman
                              • Apr 2008

Ugh, 2 releases later, and still no fix

Comment

Working...