Comparing files in folders with dissimilar folder structures. Can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curtj
    New User
    • Dec 2016

Comparing files in folders with dissimilar folder structures. Can it be done?

I would like to compare Folder A that contains files only with no sub-folders to Folder B that has sub-folders with files. I want to be able to determine if any of the files in Folder B exist anywhere in the Folder B folder/file structures and if they do where are they in Folder B.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can enable the toolbar or View menu -> Ignore Folder Structure. This removes all subfolders and places all files in a single list, aligning name to name (regardless of the subfolder it had been in). This does require that all file names are unique, as the alignment occurs before the comparison, so multiple equal names may not align the pairs you expect.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Curtj
      New User
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

You can enable the toolbar or View menu -> Ignore Folder Structure. This removes all subfolders and places all files in a single list, aligning name to name (regardless of the subfolder it had been in). This does require that all file names are unique, as the alignment occurs before the comparison, so multiple equal names may not align the pairs you expect.
      Thank you.

That worked to do exactly what I needed.

Comment

Working...