X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amar
    Visitor
    • Jan 2013

Feature Request: Administrator Mode

Often when I'm comparing volumes, I run into permissions problems where BC tells me it's unable to read a file or directory. (I'm not sure why, but this even happens with "Ignore ownership on this volume" set.)

I can often work around the problem by "sudo" launching BC from the terminal, but it's a bit of a pain, and means re-running the session all over again (many of mine run for hours or even days). It would be nice if BC could be run with elevated privileges from the GUI. Some other utility applications allow users to (persistently) authenticate into an "Administrator Mode" that deals with this problem. It would be nice if BC did so as well.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks. This one is on our radar but we're unable to create the elevation prompt after we've initially launched. You would need to use the terminal to sudo launch a new process in order to elevate BC4 at startup to get the additional privileges.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• amar
      Visitor
      • Jan 2013

A few other utilities that DO allow elevating privileges after launch (and saving that info persistently):

I'm not sure how they do it, but it's certainly less cumbersome. All three have free demos. Perhaps you can figure out how they do it. BC itself prompts for elevated privileges when installing the Command Line Tools…
      Last edited by amar; 15-Dec-2016, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for those notes. I'll add this info to our entry on the subject to help with examples.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...