Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    If you are dealing with corrupt archives, this could be part of why the binary scan is failing.
    There is no corruption involved in the particular case we are discussing in this thread. It is a healthy ZIP file.

So the summary is:
    There's nothing wrong with the zip. It's a new, healthy archive, and extracting it works fine.
    If I use Beyond Compare to do a binary scan of the extracted contents, everything is fine.
    If I use Beyond Compare to do a binary scan of the contents of the ZIP, while they are still in the ZIP, it fails with the error messages I quoted previously.

I wonder if you tried the steps I outlined a few posts back, where I described exactly how I'd created this zip file.

Hello,

In my original testing, I did not have a system image, so I used another set of very large test data (30gb nearly empty file, and a 30gb random file), and compressed with the latest release of WinRAR 64bit Windows. These neither hung the application or threw an error. I've taken the same data, placed it on a USB drive, captured it with ImageUSB, re-zipped, and I do see a logged failure after several minutes. I'll pass this on to our developers on Monday to investigate what is triggering it.

As for the concentration on the corruption, you asked that I pass on your concerns to our developers, which I did, and this is the reasoning and response for our design choices with CRC vs Rules-based vs Binary. My follow-up was to determine if the same archive files were exhibiting a mix of both failures, one, or the other.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I've taken the same data, placed it on a USB drive, captured it with ImageUSB, re-zipped, and I do see a logged failure after several minutes. I'll pass this on to our developers on Monday to investigate what is triggering it.
    What were their findings?

Hello,

Investigating. How much disc space is available on your C:\? BC4 would need to fully extract both items into your temp location when comparing within an archive; C:\ may have run out of disc space during the operation and we have a non-descriptive error message.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

30GB free on my C:\
    Last edited by grindax; 07-Dec-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Hello,

If you have two zip files, each with a 30gb file, then extracting both to run the binary scan would run out of space. We do need to extract the archive to interact with the contents; the issue is that our error message is not helpful (generated from the archive library we use).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

This whole business where BC treats ZIP files as folders, and has to actually extract the contents, is so strange and unnecessary. You know what was a much simpler and more effective solution than using Beyond Compare for comparing these files? Dragging both files into a program called VisualHash. It performed it own hash calculations on both files, and then showed me that both files match. Simple.

Basically, Beyond Compare was not fit for this job. Image if the files were even bigger, say 100GB each. Using Beyond Compare I'd have to have at least 200GB of free disk space on my operating system drive. Totally unreasonable. So for doing a reliable comparison (where content is actually fully read and compared by the comparison tool), the only solution is to use another tool. A tool that compares files in-situ, without using any extra disk space.
    Last edited by grindax; 07-Dec-2016 at 04:23 PM.